all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-23  9:54 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Emacsers

I use Mutt as mailclient and Emacs as its editor. To my regret, the
Emacs-Wiki isn't very illuminating how to use the Mutt-mode. So some
problems are still not solved for me since I'm not a skilled Lisp
professional:

- How can I achieve that the new frame, which is started when Mutt
  hands over a new mail to emacsserver, is automatically focussed? By
  now, I have to do an additional Alt-TAB to write my mail.

- The new frame as well as the font are too small. I would like to
  have the frame fill my complete screen. My default font size is set
  to heigt 200. But the new frame of emacsclient uses a much
  smaller font.

- How can I place the point automatically beneath the headers of the
  new mail instead of the top of the buffer?

I'm using Emacs 22.1.50.1 modified by Debian (Debian Emacs-snapshot)
on Debian Etch.

Here is the relevant part of my .emacs. Maybe the way I'm starting the
mutt-mode is not correct either, but it works.

;; .emacs

;; Start emacsclient in its own frame------------------------------
  (add-hook 'server-switch-hook
              (lambda nil
                (let ((server-buf (current-buffer)))
                  (bury-buffer)
                  (switch-to-buffer-other-frame server-buf))))

 (add-hook 'server-done-hook 'delete-frame)
 (add-hook 'server-done-hook (lambda nil (kill-buffer nil)))

;; When in Terminal------------------------------------------------
(when (not window-system)
  (set-keyboard-coding-system locale-coding-system)
  (set-terminal-coding-system locale-coding-system)
  (color-theme-emacs-nw)
)

;; mutt-mode-------------------------------------------------------
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/mutt" load-path))
(require 'mutt)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("mutt-kamaloka.dhatu" . mutt-mode))
(push '(".*/tmp/mutt.*\\'" . mutt-mode) auto-mode-alist)

;; start server----------------------------------------------------
(server-start)

Thanks for help,

Sven

* Re: Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-23 12:42 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-23 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi listmembers

How far I've come in the meantime:

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:54:23AM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> - The new frame as well as the font are too small. I would like to
>   have the frame fill my complete screen. My default font size is set
>   to heigt 200. But the new frame of emacsclient uses a much
>   smaller font.

This seems to be possible by setting default-frame-alist. I would like
the parameters be set the way they are for the initial frame. I've
tried it in several ways, but nothing seems to work.

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . ???))

Alas, what is my default font? How can I find out? It is set by
customize.

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "#ffffff" :foreground "#000000" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 200 :width normal :family "adobe-courier")))))

Also the following is not working:

(setq default-frame-alist (copy-alist initial-frame-alist))

Greetings,

Sven

> - How can I place the point automatically beneath the headers of the
>   new mail instead of the top of the buffer?
>
> I'm using Emacs 22.1.50.1 modified by Debian (Debian Emacs-snapshot)
> on Debian Etch.
>
> Here is the relevant part of my .emacs. Maybe the way I'm starting the
> mutt-mode is not correct either, but it works.
>
> ;; .emacs
>
> ;; Start emacsclient in its own frame------------------------------
>   (add-hook 'server-switch-hook
>               (lambda nil
>                 (let ((server-buf (current-buffer)))
>                   (bury-buffer)
>                   (switch-to-buffer-other-frame server-buf))))
>
>  (add-hook 'server-done-hook 'delete-frame)
>  (add-hook 'server-done-hook (lambda nil (kill-buffer nil)))
>
> ;; When in Terminal------------------------------------------------
> (when (not window-system)
>   (set-keyboard-coding-system locale-coding-system)
>   (set-terminal-coding-system locale-coding-system)
>   (color-theme-emacs-nw)
> )
>
> ;; mutt-mode-------------------------------------------------------
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/mutt" load-path))
> (require 'mutt)
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("mutt-kamaloka.dhatu" . mutt-mode))
> (push '(".*/tmp/mutt.*\\'" . mutt-mode) auto-mode-alist)
>
> ;; start server----------------------------------------------------
> (server-start)
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Sven

PS: Bitte schicken Sie mir reine Text-Nachrichten. Bitte schicken Sie
mir keine Word-, PowerPoint- oder Excel-Anhänge. Sehen Sie dazu bitte
auch http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.de.html.

* Re: Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-23 13:48 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-23 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacsers

I did some try-and-error and solved one of the problems completely.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:54:23AM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

> - How can I achieve that the new frame, which is started when Mutt
>   hands over a new mail to emacsserver, is automatically focussed? By
>   now, I have to do an additional Alt-TAB to write my mail.

This problem remains.

> - The new frame as well as the font are too small. I would like to
>   have the frame fill my complete screen. My default font size is set
>   to heigt 200. But the new frame of emacsclient uses a much
>   smaller font.

This problem is now solved. The solution is:

(setq default-frame-alist (append (list
  '(width  . 82)
  '(height . 45))
  default-frame-alist))

(add-to-list
  'default-frame-alist
  '(font  . "-Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--24-240-75-75-M-150-ISO8859-1"))

> - How can I place the point automatically beneath the headers of the
>   new mail instead of the top of the buffer?

This also remains.

Bye,

Sven

* Re: Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-23 14:30   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-23 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.07.2007 um 15:48 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

> This problem is now solved. The solution is:
>
> (setq default-frame-alist (append (list
>   '(width  . 82)
>   '(height . 45))
>   default-frame-alist))
>
> (add-to-list
>   'default-frame-alist
>   '(font  . "-Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--24-240-75-75-M-150-
> ISO8859-1"))

The following does not work?

	(setq default-frame-alist (append (list
	  '(width  . 82)
	  '(height . 45)
	  '(font   . "-Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--24-240-75-75-M-150-
ISO8859-1")
	)))

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                             - Tom Stoppard

* Re: Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-23 14:45     ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:30:29PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> The following does not work?
>
> 	(setq default-frame-alist (append (list
> 	  '(width  . 82)
> 	  '(height . 45)
> 	  '(font   . "-Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--24-240-75-75-M-150-
> ISO8859-1")
> 	)))

Yes, this might also work. It's just a variant I didn't try when I
experimented with the settings. I separated the last line to find the
correct font without making Emacs crash all the time.

Anyway, it's quite unnerving to manually change the when the
emacsserver frame is started by Mutt. I always forget it and start
writing immediately, what results in an error message when I return to
Mutt. I wonder why starting a new frame doesn't automatically set the
focus correspondingly. It might possibly have to do with kwin, not
with Emacs. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sven

* Re: Questions to Mutt-mode
@ 2007-07-27 23:22       ` Chmouel Boudjnah
From: Chmouel Boudjnah @ 2007-07-27 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Anyway, it's quite unnerving to manually change the when the
> emacsserver frame is started by Mutt. I always forget it and start
> writing immediately, what results in an error message when I return to
> Mutt. I wonder why starting a new frame doesn't automatically set the
> focus correspondingly. It might possibly have to do with kwin, not
> with Emacs. Any suggestions?

i believe gnuserv as such options to pop a frame when called.

--
http://www.squiz.net