all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* recommended font for emacs xft
@ 2007-08-15 13:29 Tamas Papp
From: Tamas Papp @ 2007-08-15 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
set-default-font snippets are welcome.

Thanks,

Tamas

* Re: recommended font for emacs xft
@ 2007-08-15 14:54 ` Marc Schwartz
From: Marc Schwartz @ 2007-08-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
> However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
> horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
> set-default-font snippets are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

Hi Tamas,

I have used:

  1. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

  2. Liberation Mono

  3. DejaVu Sans Mono

They are pretty interchangeable for the most part, but there will be
some subtle differences in some font lock modes. I use a height
setting of 120 in my .emacs. There are sizes, at least for me wearing
bifocals at age 49, where any font is too small, so personal preference and
visual acuity may impact upon how small you can go.

Try them and see what you prefer.

They look great in R/ESS with 23 as well.  Here is a quick screen grab
of 23, using ECB/psvn.el while editing .r and .rnw files:

  http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/Emacs23.png

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

* Re: recommended font for emacs xft
@ 2007-08-15 15:15   ` Tamas Papp
From: Tamas Papp @ 2007-08-15 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@comcast.net> writes:

> Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
>> However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
>> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
>> horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
>> set-default-font snippets are welcome.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tamas
>
> Hi Tamas,
>
> I have used:
>
>   1. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
>
>   2. Liberation Mono
>
>   3. DejaVu Sans Mono
>
> They are pretty interchangeable for the most part, but there will be
> some subtle differences in some font lock modes. I use a height
> setting of 120 in my .emacs. There are sizes, at least for me wearing
> bifocals at age 49, where any font is too small, so personal preference and
> visual acuity may impact upon how small you can go.
>
> Try them and see what you prefer.
>
> They look great in R/ESS with 23 as well.  Here is a quick screen grab
> of 23, using ECB/psvn.el while editing .r and .rnw files:
>
>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/Emacs23.png
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc Schwartz

Hi Marc,

Could you please post the relevant part of your .emacs?  Currently
mine looks like

(set-default-font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10.5")

but I don't know how to set the height independently of the font size.

@ 2007-08-15 15:28     ` Marc Schwartz
From: Marc Schwartz @ 2007-08-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
>>> However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
>>> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
>>> horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
>>> set-default-font snippets are welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tamas
>>
>> Hi Tamas,
>>
>> I have used:
>>
>>   1. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
>>
>>   2. Liberation Mono
>>
>>   3. DejaVu Sans Mono
>>
>> They are pretty interchangeable for the most part, but there will be
>> some subtle differences in some font lock modes. I use a height
>> setting of 120 in my .emacs. There are sizes, at least for me wearing
>> bifocals at age 49, where any font is too small, so personal preference and
>> visual acuity may impact upon how small you can go.
>>
>> Try them and see what you prefer.
>>
>> They look great in R/ESS with 23 as well.  Here is a quick screen grab
>> of 23, using ECB/psvn.el while editing .r and .rnw files:
>>
>>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/Emacs23.png
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Marc Schwartz
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> Could you please post the relevant part of your .emacs?  Currently
> mine looks like
>
> (set-default-font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-10.5")
>
> but I don't know how to set the height independently of the font size.
>
> Tamas

Here is the custom-set-faces section:

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "#ffffff" :foreground "#000000" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 120 :width normal :family "DejaVu LGC Sans Mono"))))
 '(fixed-pitch ((t nil)))
 '(font-lock-comment-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "Blue" :italic nil))))
 '(font-lock-constant-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "Red"))))
 '(font-lock-doc-string-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "ForestGreen"))))
 '(font-lock-string-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "ForestGreen"))))
 '(font-lock-type-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "Red"))))
 '(gnus-summary-normal-read ((t (:weight normal))))
 '(gnus-summary-normal-unread ((t (:weight bold))))
 '(minibuffer-prompt ((t (:background "yellow" :foreground "black" :weight bold))))
 '(paren-match ((t (:background "turquoise"))))
 '(speedbar-button-face ((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "green4" :size "7" :bold t))))
 '(text-cursor ((t (:foreground "white" :background "Black"))))
 '(tooltip ((((class color)) (:background "yellow" :foreground "black" :weight bold))))
 '(widget-button ((t (:size "7" :bold t)))))

HTH,

Marc

* Re: recommended font for emacs xft
@ 2007-08-15 16:13 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-08-15 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas Papp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.08.2007 um 15:29 schrieb Tamas Papp:

> I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall

Check out Lucida Sans Typewriter in Java.

DejaVu Sans Mono is an extension of Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
(basically Latin/Losedows encodings) with glyphs from the Arev TeX
font plus a whole lot more to support Unicode 5.0. For me it wastes
space. Lucida Sans Typewriter is not that complete, but usually it's
sufficient for me, although I haven't yet created really useful
charsets.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night, but set a man on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

* Re: recommended font for emacs xft
@ 2007-08-15 16:14 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-15 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am happy using the alpha version of Emacs23 with the xft extension.
> However, I could not find a font that is just "right": Monospace-11
> looks very "weak".  I am looking for something not to tall (number of
> horizontal lines is important so I can fit more code on a screen).
> set-default-font snippets are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tamas

(setq default-frame-alist (quote ((background-mode . dark) (border-color . "black") (cursor-color . "LightGray") (mouse-color . "Grey") (background-color . "darkslategrey") (foreground-color . "wheat") (font . "-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--13-120-*-*-*-*-*-*"))))

Which translates to

(set-default-font "-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--13-120-*-*-*-*-*-*")

Excellent.