all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flymake configuration error for C program
@ 2009-09-06 20:35 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2009-09-06 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When trying to run M-x Flymake-Mode in Emacs I get:

    Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (make -s -C ./CHK_SOURCES=helloworld_flymake.c SYNTAX_CHECK_MODE=1 check-syntax). Flymake will be switched OFF

I am invoking the command in a buffer called helloworld.c:

#include <stdio.h>

    int main(void) {
      printf("Hello World");
      return 0;
    }

And have a file called Makefile in the same directory:

    helloworld: helloworld.c
        gcc helloworld.c -o helloworld

I'm running GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks in advance!

* RE: flymake configuration error for C program
@ 2009-09-06 20:40 ` Corey Foote
       [not found] ` <mailman.6140.1252269616.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Corey Foote @ 2009-09-06 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

And, of course, I'm using tabs in the makefiile as necessary. It compiles fine when I just run "make" from the shell.

From: coreyfoote@hotmail.com
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:35:36 -0400
Subject: flymake configuration error for C program

When trying to run M-x Flymake-Mode in Emacs I get:

    Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (make -s -C ./CHK_SOURCES=helloworld_flymake.c SYNTAX_CHECK_MODE=1 check-syntax). Flymake will be switched OFF

I am invoking the command in a buffer called helloworld.c:

#include <stdio.h>

    int main(void) {
      printf("Hello World");
      return 0;
    }

And have a file called Makefile in the same directory:

    helloworld: helloworld.c
        gcc helloworld.c -o helloworld

I'm running GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu 9.04.

Thanks in advance!

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.  Try it now.

@ 2009-09-06 22:20   ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-09-06 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:40:10 -0400,
Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
>
> [2  <text/html; iso-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
> And, of course, I'm using tabs in the makefiile as necessary. It compiles fine when I just run "make" from the shell.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: coreyfoote@hotmail.com
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 16:35:36 -0400
> Subject: flymake configuration error for C program
>
> When trying to run M-x Flymake-Mode in Emacs I get:
>
>     Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (make -s -C ./CHK_SOURCES=helloworld_flymake.c SYNTAX_CHECK_MODE=1 check-syntax). Flymake will be switched OFF
>
> I am invoking the command in a buffer called helloworld.c:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
>     int main(void) {
>       printf("Hello World");
>       return 0;
>     }
>
> And have a file called Makefile in the same directory:
>
>     helloworld: helloworld.c
>         gcc helloworld.c -o helloworld
>
> I'm running GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 under Ubuntu 9.04.

Running make like this fails for me:

  make -s -C ./ CHK_SOURCES=helloworld_flymake.c SYNTAX_CHECK_MODE=1 check-syntax

You need to expand your makefile to have a check-syntax target, which
should take the name of the file you're editing in CHK_SOURCES.

Set this if you want to get some logging from flymake in your
*Messages* buffer:

  (setq flymake-log-level 3)

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

@ 2009-09-06 22:23 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-09-06 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com> writes:

> When trying to run M-x Flymake-Mode in Emacs I get:
>
>     Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (make -s
> -C ./CHK_SOURCES=helloworld_flymake.c SYNTAX_CHECK_MODE=1
> check-syntax). Flymake will be switched OFF

I tried this today as well. Here is the answer :

,----[ (info "(flymake) Example -- Configuring a tool called via make") ]

|    Thus, `Makefile' must contain the `check-syntax' target. In our case
| this target might look like this:
|
| check-syntax:
| 	gcc -o nul -S ${CHK_SOURCES}
`----