all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Warning while starting Gnus
@ 2009-12-04  4:14 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-12-04  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I am using Emacs/Gnus built from latest git source. While starting Gnus
I found one thing very annoying. It triggers a *Compile-Log* window and
shows
,----
| Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'
`----

Also I saw these warning while building Emacs - Gnus files.

Should I file a bug report?

* Re: Warning while starting Gnus
@ 2009-12-04 14:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-04 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I am using Emacs/Gnus built from latest git source.  While starting
> Gnus I found one thing very annoying.  It triggers a *Compile-Log*
> window and shows

> ,----
> | Warning: `save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'
> `----

I cannot reproduce this.  Can you try to provide a precise recipe?
Or otherwise, place try to add at the beginning of your .emacs

   (setq debug-on-error t)
   (setq byte-compile-debug t)
   (debug-on-entry 'byte-compile-form)

> Also I saw these warning while building Emacs - Gnus files.

These are normal: I have a patch for it, but it's a bit intrusive and is
likely to introduce a few bugs, so it's kept for later.  The one that
shows up during run time needs to be fixed, tho.

> Should I file a bug report?

Yes, please,

* Re: Warning while starting Gnus
@ 2009-12-04 15:38   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-12-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I found another user reported this.

I just did another build to observe this problem and found this is not
only Gnus related. Same warning is triggered for many files other than
Gnus files.

* Re: Warning while starting Gnus
@ 2009-12-04 17:52     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-12-04 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I found another user reported this.

> I just did another build to observe this problem and found this is not
> only Gnus related. Same warning is triggered for many files other than
> Gnus files.

As I said, the ones that show up at compile time are not a problem
(they are potential bugs, but they've been around for a while, so
there's no hurry to fix them).
But the ones that show up at run-time need to be fixed because
they're annoying.

* Re: Warning while starting Gnus
@ 2009-12-04 22:57       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-12-04 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: CHENG Gao, emacs-devel

>> I found another user reported this.
>
>> I just did another build to observe this problem and found this is not
>> only Gnus related. Same warning is triggered for many files other than
>> Gnus files.
>
> As I said, the ones that show up at compile time are not a problem
> (they are potential bugs, but they've been around for a while, so
> there's no hurry to fix them).
> But the ones that show up at run-time need to be fixed because
> they're annoying.

On some emacs newsgroup, Thierry Thierry Volpiatto [1] said it was
bbdb's fault, and if I remember he already had a patch.  I don't know if
he submitted it to the bbdb guys, though.

Bye,
Tassilo
[1] thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com