all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-25 11:55 rotlas
       [not found] ` <mailman.11729.1259433914.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rotlas @ 2009-11-25 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
other?

Thanks

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
       [not found] <mailman.11453.1259150170.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-25 12:13 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-25 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rotlas <katofa@gmail.com> writes:

> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
> other?

You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
be easy enough to use:

C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)

In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
orders.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-25 13:09   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-25 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> rotlas <katofa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
>> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
>> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
>> other?
>
> You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
> be easy enough to use:
>
> C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)
>
> In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
> down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
> orders.

See also `dired-find-alternate-file' to avoid having lot of dired
buffers.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-25 13:20   ` aartist
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11468.1259158466.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: aartist @ 2009-11-25 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 25, 7:13 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> rotlas <kat...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
> > name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
> > there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
> > other?
>
> You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
> be easy enough to use:
>
> C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)
>
> In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
> down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
> orders.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

The whole point was to mark  all the directory buffers at once.
rather than one by one.

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-25 14:13     ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11468.1259158466.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

aartist <aartist@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 25, 7:13 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> rotlas <kat...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
>> > name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
>> > there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
>> > other?
>>
>> You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
>> be easy enough to use:
>>
>> C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)
>>
>> In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
>> down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
>> orders.
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__
>
> The whole point was to mark  all the directory buffers at once.
> rather than one by one.

M-x ibuffer RET * / D

-ap

@ 2009-11-25 14:16 ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-11-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rotlas <katofa@gmail.com> writes:

> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
> other?
>
> Thanks

With ibuffer, you can mark all buffers in dired mode just by typing * /
then delete them with D. You will be asked for confirmation.

M-x ibuffer
* /

Type h in the *ibuffer* buffer for additional information.

I don't know if this can be done with the default buffer-menu.

@ 2009-11-25 14:23 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-11-25 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rotlas wrote:
> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
> other?
>
> Thanks

Rotlas,
if you use ibuffer instead of buffer then this will work
C-x b            (show the list of buffers)
//               (remove filtering)
/b               (filter by buffer)
C-home C-k       (remove default option)
dired-mode RET   (show only the dired buffers)
move the cursor to the [buffers] list
d                (select all for deleting)
x                (delete all marked buffers)

However,
that is a bit of a hassle, so this bit of list will
work

(require 'cl)
(defun kill-dired-buffers ()
   "Kills all buffers in dired-mode"
   (interactive)
   (save-excursion
     (let ((buf))
     (loop for buf in (buffer-list)
       do (progn
           (set-buffer buf)
             (if (eq major-mode 'dired-mode)
                 (kill-buffer buf)))))))

note that this doesn't kill the split-window associated with the dired-buffer.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-26  1:13   ` David Hodge
From: David Hodge @ 2009-11-26  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I  use something called tempbuf mode which silently deletes
unused buffers after applying some heuristics, all I do in my .emacs is

(require 'tempbuf)
(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook 'tempbuf-mode)

The upside is that I apply this to other buffers - info, woman etc - and
they expire nicely without intervention.

Very occasionally, a buffer gets expired when I want to use it , but its
no big deal to repeat the dired when that hapens.

I have used it for years and it still works pretty well

HTH

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-26 21:37   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-11-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> rotlas <katofa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
>> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
>> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
>> other?
>
> You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
> be easy enough to use:
>
> C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)
>
> In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
> down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
> orders.

Emacs 23 also introduced the new command 'kill-matching-buffers', which
may be of help. Personally, I use Pascal's method. I also tend not to
worry about lots of buffers hanging around - they are not consuming much
resources and I don't really see them unless I need/want to. Personally,
I think its good practice to get used to lots of buffers hanging around
- I often have more than 100 open buffers. There are things you can
configure if you don't want them all showing up in buffer listings etc,
depending on whther you use one of the many packages to assist with
buffer switching/management or not.

I also seem to remember some config setting for dired that wold make it
re-use buffers, but maybe I imagined that! Possibly worth a look in the
dired and dired-aux config stuff

HTH

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-28 18:40 ` andrea
       [not found] ` <mailman.11729.1259433914.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: andrea @ 2009-11-28 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rotlas <katofa@gmail.com> writes:

> I often end up with lots of directory buffers (those buffers with "dired by
> name" mode), after navigating in the filesystem in order to open files. Is
> there an easy way to get rid of all those buffers at once, and leaving the
> other?
>
> Thanks

As other people pointed out already ibuffer is much nicer, I added this
to my configurations

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'ibuffer) ;; manage buffers with ibuffer

But I also always end up having too many buffers, I need a better
strategy for killing them when I don't need them anymore..

* RE: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-28 19:46   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-28 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'andrea', help-gnu-emacs

> But I also always end up having too many buffers, I need a better
> strategy for killing them when I don't need them anymore..

I think some people are in the habit of using `C-x 0' to remove the current
window, even when they no longer need the window's buffer.

Why? Because they don't want some other buffer taking its place (if they were to
use `C-x k' instead). IOW, what they really want is both `C-x k' and `C-x 0',
but that is too much to type each time they just want to get something out of
the way.

I use this as a replacement for `kill-buffer' interactively (only):

(defun kill-buffer-and-its-windows (buffer)
  "Kill BUFFER and delete its windows.
Default is `current-buffer'.
BUFFER can be either a buffer or its name (a string)."
  (interactive
   (list (read-buffer "Kill buffer: "
                      (current-buffer) 'existing)))
  (setq buffer (get-buffer buffer))
  (cond ((buffer-live-p buffer)
         (let ((wins (get-buffer-window-list buffer nil t)))
           (when (kill-buffer buffer)
             (dolist (win wins)
               (when (window-live-p win)
                (delete-window win))))))
        ((interactive-p)
         (error
          "Cannot kill buffer.  Not a live buffer: `%s'"
          buffer))))

;; This points all keys and menus that would normally use
;; `kill-buffer' to `kill-buffer-and-its-windows' instead.
(substitute-key-definition
  'kill-buffer 'kill-buffer-and-its-windows global-map)

And I'm in the habit of using `C-x k' when I'm through with a buffer and its
window. I use `C-x 0' only when I explicitly want to keep the buffer around.

FWIW, this code is in library misc-cmds.el (and setup-keys.el for the key
mapping).
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/misc-cmds.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/setup-keys.el

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-28 22:43     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> But I also always end up having too many buffers, I need a better
>> strategy for killing them when I don't need them anymore..
>
> I think some people are in the habit of using `C-x 0' to remove the current
> window, even when they no longer need the window's buffer.
>

> I use this as a replacement for `kill-buffer' interactively (only):

No need for a library :

,----[ C-h f kill-buffer-and-window RET ]
| kill-buffer-and-window is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `window.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-x 4 0.
|
| (kill-buffer-and-window)
|
| Kill the current buffer and delete the selected window.
|
| [back]
`----

-ap

* RE: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-29  2:41       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-29  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Andreas Politz', help-gnu-emacs

> >> But I also always end up having too many buffers, I need a better
> >> strategy for killing them when I don't need them anymore..
> >
> > I think some people are in the habit of using `C-x 0' to
> > remove the current window, even when they no longer need
> > the window's buffer.
> >
> > I use this as a replacement for `kill-buffer' interactively (only):
>
> No need for a library: C-h f kill-buffer-and-window RET

Not the same, is it? Take a look at the code.
If you prefer that, go right ahead and use it.

* I prefer that it be usable for any buffer, not just the current one (default).

* I prefer that all of the windows showing the buffer be deleted, not just the
selected one.

* I prefer not to have to confirm by typing `y e s RET' instead of `RET'.

* I prefer that the window not be deleted if `kill-buffer' doesn't kill the
buffer (e.g. if it was modified and I said not to kill it after all).

* I prefer that no error be raised if not interactive and the buffer is not
live. (Yes, I do use this non-interactively also.)

Don't judge things only by their names. `kill-buffer-and-window' and
`kill-buffer-and-its-windows' look like they might do the same thing, but what
counts is the behavior.

(FWIW, I also use a version of `delete-window' that deletes the frame if has
only one window, so this same command blows the frame away for me.)

* RE: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-11-29  2:55         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-11-29  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Andreas Politz', help-gnu-emacs

Replying to my own post, after checking the Emacs 23 code.

> > C-h f kill-buffer-and-window RET
>
> Not the same, is it? Take a look at the code.
> If you prefer that, go right ahead and use it.
>
> * I prefer that it be usable for any buffer, not just the
>   current one (default).
>
> * I prefer that all of the windows showing the buffer be
>   deleted, not just the selected one.
>
> * I prefer not to have to confirm by typing `y e s RET'
>   instead of `RET'.

Well, they got rid of that nuisance, at least. I sometimes use older versions of
Emacs, however, where you need to confirm with `yes'.

> * I prefer that the window not be deleted if `kill-buffer'
>   doesn't kill the buffer (e.g. if it was modified and I
>   said not to kill it after all).

Ditto. They fixed that also in recent versions.

@ 2009-11-29 16:17   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-11-29 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

andrea wrote:

> But I also always end up having too many buffers, I need a better
> strategy for killing them when I don't need them anymore..

Andrea,
ibuffer can also sort buffers by recently-viewed, by pressing 's v'.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--

@ 2009-12-01 18:14       ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2009-12-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz wrote:

> M-x ibuffer RET * / D

Thank you, ibuffer is so nice! Have I missed something or ibuffer's
really not mentioned in GNU Emacs manual?
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 19+ messages in thread

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-12-02  8:23         ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-12-02  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > I think some people are in the habit of using `C-x 0' to
>> > remove the current window, even when they no longer need
>> > the window's buffer.
>> >
>> > I use this as a replacement for `kill-buffer' interactively (only):
>>
>> No need for a library: C-h f kill-buffer-and-window RET
>
> Not the same, is it? Take a look at the code.
> If you prefer that, go right ahead and use it.
>
> * I prefer that it be usable for any buffer, not just the current one (default).
>
> * I prefer that all of the windows showing the buffer be deleted, not just the
> selected one.
>
> * I prefer not to have to confirm by typing `y e s RET' instead of `RET'.
>
> * I prefer that the window not be deleted if `kill-buffer' doesn't kill the
> buffer (e.g. if it was modified and I said not to kill it after all).
>
> * I prefer that no error be raised if not interactive and the buffer is not
> live. (Yes, I do use this non-interactively also.)
>
> Don't judge things only by their names. `kill-buffer-and-window' and
> `kill-buffer-and-its-windows' look like they might do the same thing, but what
> counts is the behavior.

kill-buffer-and-window fulfills your initially stated requirements.
This was the basis of my judgement.

-ap

@ 2009-12-04 21:25       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-12-04 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz wrote:
> aartist <aartist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Nov 25, 7:13 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
>> wrote:
>>> You could write a little emacs command to do that, but it should also
>>> be easy enough to use:
>>>
>>> C-x C-b   (or M-x list-buffers RET)
>>>
>>> In the buffer list, you can mark buffers for killing with d (and move
>>> down and up with n and p).  When you're done, type x to execute the
>>> orders.
>>>
>>> --
>>> __Pascal Bourguignon__
>> The whole point was to mark  all the directory buffers at once.
>> rather than one by one.
>
> M-x ibuffer RET * / D
>
> -ap

Thanks. This looks safer to me than electric-buffer-list. Is it?

Ed

* Re: Remove all directory listings buffers
@ 2009-12-05  7:37         ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-12-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Andreas Politz wrote:
>> aartist <aartist@gmail.com> writes:

>>> The whole point was to mark  all the directory buffers at once.
>>> rather than one by one.
>>
>> M-x ibuffer RET * / D
>>
>> -ap
>>

> Thanks. This looks safer to me than electric-buffer-list. Is it?
>

> Ed

Safer in what way ?

-ap