all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-18 10:30 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-01-18 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?

    * Manage user accounts
    * Monitor filesystems and processes
    * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
    * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
    * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
    * Script email protocols and spam control
    * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
    * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
    * Improve filesystem, process, and network security

Thanks!

David

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-19 14:36 ` Giorgos Keramidas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1760.1263970014.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2010-01-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18 Jan 2010 05:30:09 -0500, dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
>

>     * Manage user accounts
>     * Monitor filesystems and processes
>     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
>     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
>     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
>     * Script email protocols and spam control
>     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
>     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
>     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security

One way to do this is to set the fill-prefix to a string of spaces that
includes the space *after* one o the bullets and then M-q / fill-region.

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-20  6:46   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1760.1263970014.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-01-20  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2010 05:30:09 -0500, dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
>>

>>     * Manage user accounts
>>     * Monitor filesystems and processes
>>     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
>>     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
>>     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
>>     * Script email protocols and spam control
>>     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
>>     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
>>     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security
>
> One way to do this is to set the fill-prefix to a string of spaces that
> includes the space *after* one o the bullets and then M-q / fill-region.

Doesn't that run everything together like so:

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-20  7:30 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-01-20  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-01-18 05:30 (-0500), David Combs wrote:

> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by
> white-space?

Put fill-prefix (C-x .) after the indentation of the second line of a
bullet item. Then the * bullet line always starts a paragraph and
continued lines get the fill-prefix which you defined (four spaces in
the example below). You need to cancel the fill-prefix when you go
editing other text.

  * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network
    name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
  * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and
    tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool

See

    C-h r m Fill Prefix RET

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-20  9:59 ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2010-01-20  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?

since I (still?) use filladapt I can just M-x fill-region or hit M-q on
each bullet to get:

     * Manage user accounts
     * Monitor filesystems and processes
     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML
       and YAML
     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with
       DBI
     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
     * Script email protocols and spam control
     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer
       network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and
       DHCP
     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies
       and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security

It sometimes get's the fill prefix wrong, e.g. when writing part of a
sentence in parens, but usually it does the right thing for me.

Regards,
stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-20 10:09     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2010-01-20 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>
() Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:46:26 -0700

   Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
   > On 18 Jan 2010 05:30:09 -0500, dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
   >> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
   >>
   >>     * Manage user accounts
   >>     * Monitor filesystems and processes
   >>     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
   >>     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
   >>     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
   >>     * Script email protocols and spam control
   >>     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
   >>     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
   >>     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security
   >
   > One way to do this is to set the fill-prefix to a string of spaces that
   > includes the space *after* one o the bullets and then M-q / fill-region.

I find that:

(setq paragraph-start " +\\* "
      paragraph-separate "\n"
      use-hard-newlines nil)

followed by `M-x fill-region' seems to work in Text mode.
Perhaps there is a better way.

thi

@ 2010-01-21  7:09     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2010-01-21  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:46:26 -0700, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> On 18 Jan 2010 05:30:09 -0500, dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>>> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
>>>

>>>     * Manage user accounts
>>>     * Monitor filesystems and processes
>>>     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
>>>     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
>>>     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
>>>     * Script email protocols and spam control
>>>     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
>>>     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
>>>     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security
>>
>> One way to do this is to set the fill-prefix to a string of spaces that
>> includes the space *after* one o the bullets and then M-q / fill-region.
>
> Doesn't that run everything together like so:
>
> * Manage user accounts Monitor filesystems and processes Work with
> * configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
> * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
> * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory Script
> * email protocols and spam control Effectively create, handle, and
> * analyze log files Administer network name and configuration
> * services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP Maintain, monitor, and map
> * network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap,
> * libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool Improve filesystem, process, and
> * network security

Hum, it does, you are right.  I don't remember why I wrote the
original suggestion, but it looks wrong.

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to  separate by white-space?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-01-25 14:48 ` Steve Purcell
From: Steve Purcell @ 2010-01-25 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 18, 10:30 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to separate by white-space?
>
>     * Manage user accounts
>     * Monitor filesystems and processes
>     * Work with configuration files in important formats such as XML and YAML
>     * Administer databases, including MySQL, MS-SQL, and Oracle with DBI
>     * Work with directory services like LDAP and Active Directory
>     * Script email protocols and spam control
>     * Effectively create, handle, and analyze log files Administer network name and configuration services, including NIS, DNS and DHCP
>     * Maintain, monitor, and map network services, using technologies and tools such as SNMP, nmap, libpcap, GraphViz and RRDtool
>     * Improve filesystem, process, and network security
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

How about "M-x orgstruct-mode", then "M-q"?

-Steve

* Re: How to "fill" these individual bullets, WITHOUT having to  separate by white-space?
@ 2010-01-30  0:43   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-01-30  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs