all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29  8:25 Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-03-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hi all,

I have been doing something quite annoying because I didn't manage to
find any keybinding for it. I work at the terminal usually.
So, I do C-<space> to mark a region, M-x copy-region-as-kill to copy
and C-y to paste (yank).

Is there a keybinding for the M-x copy-region-as-kill. In general, is
there a way to see if there is any keybinding attached to a function.

When I open emacs in the GUI, if I don't set a theme it comes with a
white background etc (default theme). However, if I open it in a
terminal it comes with a black background and quite awesome colours.
How can I set the black background and the colour scheme also for gui
use?

Cheers,

--
PMatos

* Re: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29  8:39 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-03-29  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

"Paulo J. Matos" writes:

> Is there a keybinding for the M-x copy-region-as-kill. In general, is
> there a way to see if there is any keybinding attached to a function.

If a keybinding is available, Emacs will warn you about it when using
that function.

In your case, the help for copy-region-as-kill (C-h f or
describe-function) says that its keybinding was given to kill-ring-save,
a bit more powerful function that can be activated with M-w by default.

> When I open emacs in the GUI, if I don't set a theme it comes with a
> white background etc (default theme). However, if I open it in a
> terminal it comes with a black background and quite awesome colours.
> How can I set the black background and the colour scheme also for gui
> use?

Dunno.

--
Alberto

* Re: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29  9:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-03-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:25:37 +0100
>
> When I open emacs in the GUI, if I don't set a theme it comes with a
> white background etc (default theme). However, if I open it in a
> terminal it comes with a black background and quite awesome colours.
> How can I set the black background and the colour scheme also for gui
> use?

Try

   emacs -bg black

* Re: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29 21:10   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-03-29 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: emacs list

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 10:39 +0200, Alberto Luaces wrote:
> "Paulo J. Matos" writes:
>
> > Is there a keybinding for the M-x copy-region-as-kill. In general, is
> > there a way to see if there is any keybinding attached to a function.
>
> If a keybinding is available, Emacs will warn you about it when using
> that function.
>
> In your case, the help for copy-region-as-kill (C-h f or
> describe-function) says that its keybinding was given to kill-ring-save,
> a bit more powerful function that can be activated with M-w by default.

Thanks, M-w seems to do exactly what I wanted! :)

* Re: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29 21:11   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-03-29 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 12:08 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:25:37 +0100
> >
> > When I open emacs in the GUI, if I don't set a theme it comes with a
> > white background etc (default theme). However, if I open it in a
> > terminal it comes with a black background and quite awesome colours.
> > How can I set the black background and the colour scheme also for gui
> > use?
>
> Try
>
>    emacs -bg black

Unfortunately it makes the background black without changing font faces,
meaning font faces, which are black, will be invisible. :-/

* RE: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29 21:18     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-03-29 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paulo J. Matos', 'Eli Zaretskii'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> >    emacs -bg black
>
> Unfortunately it makes the background black without changing
> font faces, meaning font faces, which are black, will be
> invisible. :-/

Consider filing a bug or passing along a suggestion to the library maintainer
for those faces. It is possible for a library to define the default value of a
face so that it is one thing if your background is light (in general) and a
another thing if it is dark (in general).

(On the other hand, if you customized the faces in question to make them black,
then you would need to customize them again.)

* Re: Copying Regions and terminal mode theme
@ 2010-03-29 23:41   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-03-29 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:25:37 +0100
>>
>> When I open emacs in the GUI, if I don't set a theme it comes with a
>> white background etc (default theme). However, if I open it in a
>> terminal it comes with a black background and quite awesome colours.
>> How can I set the black background and the colour scheme also for gui
>> use?
>
> Try
>
>    emacs -bg black

Also, another way to experiment with background colors:

In  a running GUI emacs you can evaluate code in the minibuffer with
`Alt-shift + :'  Which will give you an `eval' prompt in the
minibuffer.

There you can type
   (set-background-color "somecolor") <ENTER>

(including the parenthesis)

to change the background color.

Replace "somecolor" with different colors, to see the effect.  But
beware that if you set the background to a color close to the same as
the current foreground (the current font face) then you will have a
hard time seeing what you are typing.

Usually you can blind type another color to revert to something better
by `Alt-Shift + :' then use the up arrow to bring back your previous
evaluated command, often if you highlight the area where you know the
color was typed you will be able to see the double quotes surrounding
the color you used and can type something else there.

But if that isn't enough then just kill emacs and restart... your old
defaults will come back.

So don't try this with anything loaded in emacs that you can't just
kill to get back to your defaults.

You can make emacs display all the colors available so you have the
names at hand by
     M-x list-colors-display <ENTER>

Of course you can experiment with the foreground color in a similar
way

  (set-foreground-color "somecolor") <ENTER>