all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cursor invisible on text with "default" face in Emacs on Windows
@ 2010-07-08 23:58 Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-08 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This is essentially my .emacs:

(set-foreground-color "white")
(set-background-color "black")

However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
cursor is invisible. Why is this?

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Cursor invisible on text with "default" face in Emacs on Windows
       [not found] <mailman.14.1278633522.10601.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-09  1:31 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-07-09  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> This is essentially my .emacs:
>
> (set-foreground-color "white")
> (set-background-color "black")
>
> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
> cursor is invisible. Why is this?

Because you need to set the cursor color too.

       (set-cursor-color     "red")
       (when (fboundp 'set-mouse-color)
         (set-mouse-color     "yellow"))

* Re: Cursor invisible on text with "default" face in Emacs on Windows
@ 2010-07-09  4:55 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1278651350.6118.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
> This is essentially my .emacs:
>
> (set-foreground-color "white")
> (set-background-color "black")
>
> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

Actually, it seems that it is not only the default face, but also e.g.
the "button" face... I'd bet there are more faces which this applies
to.

--

@ 2010-07-09  7:00   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-07-09  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>> This is essentially my .emacs:
>>
>> (set-foreground-color "white")
>> (set-background-color "black")
>>
>> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
>> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>>
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>

> Actually, it seems that it is not only the default face, but also e.g.
> the "button" face... I'd bet there are more faces which this applies
> to.

Do M-x list-faces-display to see all currently defined faces, what they
are set to and an easy way to change the ones you want to be different.

,----[ C-h f list-faces-display RET ]
| list-faces-display is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `faces.el'.

| (list-faces-display &optional REGEXP)
|
| List all faces, using the same sample text in each.
| The sample text is a string that comes from the variable
| `list-faces-sample-text'.
|
| If REGEXP is non-nil, list only those faces with names matching
| this regular expression.  When called interactively with a prefix
| arg, prompt for a regular expression.
|
| [back]
`----

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Cursor invisible on text with "default" face in Emacs on Windows
@ 2010-07-09  8:30   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-07-09  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday 08 July 2010 09:55 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> 2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan<deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>> This is essentially my .emacs:
>>
>> (set-foreground-color "white")
>> (set-background-color "black")
>>
>> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
>> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>>
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>

> Actually, it seems that it is not only the default face, but also e.g.
> the "button" face... I'd bet there are more faces which this applies
> to.

This is not exactly a solution to your problem but since I see you want
a colour scheme more to the likes of emacs invoked with
`-no-window-system', I would suggest you try setting `inverse-video' to
t. An even better solution would be to use the `color-themes' library
and choose a dark theme. I use one myself. If you are interested I can
share my setup.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Cursor invisible on text with "default" face in Emacs on Windows
@ 2010-07-09  9:24     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>:
> On Thursday 08 July 2010 09:55 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
>>
>> 2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan<deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This is essentially my .emacs:
>>>
>>> (set-foreground-color "white")
>>> (set-background-color "black")
>>>
>>> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
>>> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>>>
>>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>>

>> Actually, it seems that it is not only the default face, but also e.g.
>> the "button" face... I'd bet there are more faces which this applies
>> to.
>>

> This is not exactly a solution to your problem but since I see you want a
> colour scheme more to the likes of emacs invoked with `-no-window-system', I
> would suggest you try setting `inverse-video' to t. An even better solution
> would be to use the `color-themes' library and choose a dark theme. I use
> one myself. If you are interested I can share my setup.

Thanks, but I'm getting the feeling that this is an Emacs bug. I don't
like using color-theme, since I'm quite satisfied with the default
(dark) Emacs colors, save this problem with the cursor.

--

@ 2010-07-11 11:12 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-11 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
> This is essentially my .emacs:
>
> (set-foreground-color "white")
> (set-background-color "black")
>
> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1

So basically no one knows why this is happening? Should I report this as a bug?

--

@ 2010-07-11 11:18   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-07-11 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
>> This is essentially my .emacs:
>>
>> (set-foreground-color "white")
>> (set-background-color "black")
>>
>> However, when the cursor is on text with the "default" face, the
>> cursor is invisible. Why is this?
>>
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>

> So basically no one knows why this is happening? Should I report this as a bug?

Please do.