all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
       [not found] ` <dc3fb042-def7-4a6c-b169-d83193a66d06@v23g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-11-29  4:17   ` Haines Brown
       [not found]     ` <25fdf046-8e83-4fa7-8404-1c08aeda30ae@s5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-11-29  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José,

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is a bit of a puzzler. I can reproduce
the probem simply by starting sunrise-commander either with M-x sunrise
or with the line (progn (sunrise)) in the init file. If I don't start
sunrise-commander in one of these two says, tramp can navigate the
remote host.

My tramp lines at this point don't amount to much:

   (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp/")
   (require 'tramp)
   (setq tramp-default-method "ssh")

I also tried ftp and rcp methods without luck.

With sunrise commander running I can't move down in my directories on
the website, but strangly enough I can move upwards. The director
hierarchy and their permissions are:

  histomat   dr-x--x--x
  www        drwxr-xr-x
  (myDirs)   drwxr-xr-x

By navigating up and down, it seems I can't access directories that are
drwxr-xr-x unless I get into them with a symlink:

 lrwxrwxrwx   1 account  web   13 Jan 12  2010 www -> ./primary/www

But these inaccessible directories have a more liberal policy than the
ones I can access.

Is there any way to debug sunrise-commander commands?

Haines

@ 2010-11-29 13:12       ` Haines Brown
       [not found]         ` <64e32536-33ac-4464-bb04-dc31eafe1813@k22g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-11-29 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> M-x toggle-debug-on-error ?

Ah, for some reason it did not occur to me this would include tramp, but
in any case there were no error messages when I tried to open a
directory on the remote host.

I should mention that when I access the remote host with tramp when in
Sunrise-Commander mode, a new buffer opens which is in the "Internal
Ange-ftp: run" mode. From its ftp> prompt I have no trouble changing
directories and listing their
ftp> contents.

But, in the other buffer that remains in Sunrise-commander mode, I can't
open this subdirectory, although I can navigate upward into the parent
directory. A simple RET command should open the currently selected
directory, but it looks like the command is not being passed along to
tramp/FTP. Is it possible that my Sunrise-commander is opening new
buffer for FTP commands rather than execute those commands? When I used
tramp years ago, I don't recall any "Internal Age-ftp" buffer showing
up.

Haines

@ 2010-11-30 18:50           ` Haines Brown
       [not found]             ` <16a1b95b-a909-478b-b18a-ede9bece2704@l20g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-11-30 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> Could you please give
> the latest version (4R340) a try and let me know if it works now?

There may be the happy implication here I'm not just a Klutz ;-). I
downloaded version $Rev: 340 $, which I suppose is 4R340, but because it
will take a little time to test, which I can't spare at the moment, I'll
have to get back to you shortly on the results.

Meanwhile, another problem. In sunrise-commander.el file it suggests
that to syncronize panes I should type M-o. For me this does not work
(it may at one point have worked, but not sure). When I attempt it, in
the minibuffer I get:

  Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 106>

And displayed in another buffer is:

  Omitting...
  Omitted 58 lines.
  set: Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 106> [6 times]
  set: Wrong type argument: window-live-p, #<window 106>2010-11-06

Haines

Parenthetically:

> Cheers,
> --
> José A. Romero L.
> escherdragon at gmail
> "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
> (Quarry worker's creed)

When browsing on-line to plan a little vacation three years hence on
Mt. Desert Island (Maine) with my wife, a quarry was mentioned. When I
visited it in ca. 1950, there was a family living at the bottom in a
shack who were so poor their children had to share shoes. The head of
the household quarried blocks of pink granite by hand (a very
interesting procedure that I read about in historical accounts as far
back as Ancient Egypt) for curbing. I don't know that he envisioned
cathedrals as he worked! Wrong social class for that.

* Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
       [not found]                     ` <f2735ec5-4041-4262-8978-5ffb6cc9b13b@e38g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-12-05 18:42                       ` Haines Brown
       [not found]                         ` <0acc63b7-5656-46e2-829f-2345ab529b2d@h16g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-12-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

Half my problem is that I'm a klutz. For example, I must have struck
some key combination such that in gnus, displayed is only the quoted
material in the body, not the original material. To see what you had to
say, I have to follow up. No idea how to fix. In any case:

Thanks for the tip on tramp syntax. I carried a configuration over for
years without re-studying it.

> Now, this is a real treasure! This is exactly what I needed to locate
> the bug that was pestering you. ... Can you please check if the latest
> version (4R344) works OK for you now?  Thank you *very much* for
> reporting this, it did help a lot.

I found a 4R344 that differed only by a few hundred bytes from what I'm
using, but I assumed that it is nevertheless a fix rather than
version. In any case, I installed it, and it now works! I can hit RET
while a remote file is selected, and emacs opens so that I can edit and
save it. My only (petty) problem is that when I close the emacs editor
I'm not returned to the remote directory in which the test file was
located, but back to my local scratch page. I have to change buffers to
get back to where I was.

> (...)
>> all the confusion, who knows? When I fail to save a changed remote file,
>> there is no debug message, but in minibuffer is says "wrong type
>> argument: arrayp, nil".
>
> This is one I still haven't been able to reproduce. Don't you receive
> any stack trace at all, even after doing M-x toggle-debug-on-error?

I guess what I said above kinda makes this problem moot. The problem
seems to be resolved, and I thank you for your patient concern.

The only remaining challenge for me, although I suspect it is a question
of tramp rather than sunrise-commander is trying to access a user
account on a remote machine (teufel on my LAN) from within
Sunrise-Commander (SSH works otherwise):

In ~/.netrc I have:

  machine ftp.brownh@teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info
    login brownh
    password ...

In .emacs I have:

  (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
  (setenv "teufel" "/ftp:brownh@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info")

When I do

  M-x f, $teufel

first for some reason I'm promoted for the password for my own local
account, and then, having provided it, the connection to teufel hangs
(Opening FTP connection to ftp...). Ange-ftp says:

  ftp>open ftp
  ftp: ftp: Name or service not knownftp> ftp>open ftp

@ 2010-12-06 13:44                           ` Haines Brown
       [not found]                             ` <dbad0790-8fb2-4cc9-a4e0-ffc0f90af534@b25g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-12-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

>> save it. My only (petty) problem is that when I close the emacs
>> editor I'm not returned to the remote directory in which the test
>> file was located, but back to my local scratch page. I have to change
>> buffers to get back to where I was.
>
> That's by design: ...  IIRC you are now using the popviewer extension,
> so you could try using "o" (or "v") instead of Enter to open your
> files

No, I was not using it, but it sounds useful. I tried it. Very nice!
Only one little problem. How do I kill the popup frame from the keyboard
(mouse works ok). Repeated C-x k simply takes me through a history of
buffers. Starting with the viewed text, then message, then scratch, then
"ftp>", then sunrise, then.... Of course, a C-x C-c takes the popup out,
but it takes out the main emacs process at same time.

Another problem, perhaps related to the first. If I visit a remote host
with tramp, and then seek to exit the tramp ftp connection by closing
the buffer displaying the remote host, this no longer works. I believe
before adding sunrise-x-popup I could do C-x k to kill the buffer
displaying the remote site while in Sunrise-Commander, but now, with
sunrise-x-popup, when I try to do that, I'm kicked out of
Sunrise-Commander altogether and am thrown back to the emacs scratch
buffer in a single window, fundamental mode. The buffer holding the
display of the remote site is still alive.

[re. accessing an ordinary remote host from Sunrise-Commander]

>> In .emacs I have:
>>
>>   (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>>   (setenv "teufel" "/ftp:bro...@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info")
> (...)
>
> I think that last string should be rather:
>
>     "/ftp:bro...@ftp.teufel.HistoricalMaterialism.info:/"

Thanks. Tried that, but after supplying remote PW, tramp hangs so badly
that I have to issue a kill command on the emacs process. But this is a
tramp issue, not sunrise-commander, for I have the same problem in the
dired mode.

Haines

@ 2010-12-07  4:31                               ` Haines Brown
       [not found]                                 ` <dbfc6b2b-a637-4c68-a332-d0168449e844@y23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-12-07  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 6, 14:44, Haines Brown <hai...@HistoricalMaterialism.info>
> wrote:
> (...)
>> Only one little problem. How do I kill the popup frame from the
>> keyboard (mouse works ok). Repeated C-x k simply takes me through a
>> history of
> (...)
>
> The function is "delete-frame", and it's bound to C-x 5 0. You can:
>
> 1) simply get used to C-x 5 0,
>
> 2) write something like this:
>
>     (defun hb/smart-close ()
>       (interactive)
>       (if (cdr (frame-list))
>           (delete-frame)
>         (save-buffers-kill-emacs)))
>
> and bind it to C-x C-c, or

Aha! Thanks. Not knowing any LISP, I assume the last would involve a
line such as:

     (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-c") 'smart-close)

which I suppose should precede the above lines. I'll give it a try, but
I'm nervous without a bit of reassurance.

>> Another problem, perhaps related to the first. If I visit a remote
>> host with tramp, and then seek to exit the tramp ftp connection by
>> closing the buffer displaying the remote host, this no longer works.

> Actually, the only way to effectively kill the FTP session in Emacs is
> by calling the ange-ftp-kill-ftp-process function (maybe also by
> killing the *ftp* buffer), for sure not by killing a dired / sunrise
> buffer. C-x k is now bound in Sunrise to sr-quit, so it deactivates
> both panes. If you really want to kill that buffer, just change its
> directory somewhere else (e.g. by pressing: j ~ [RET], or: 1 M-o).

Understood. For some reason I inherit a fear of leaving an FTP
connection open unused. What you are saying is, don't worry about it. I
won't. Again, thank you very much.

Haines Brown

@ 2010-12-08 12:23                                   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2010-12-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> rather: (define-key global-map "\C-x\C-c" 'hb/smart-close)

Yes, and the whole works like a charm. Thanks!

Haines Brown