all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-02  1:15 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-02  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've installed a true type font package ttf-inconsolata with the
debian installer tool `aptitude'.

I see it at /usr/share/fonts/

  freefont    ttf-dejavu       ttf-liberation  ttf-sil-gentium
  openoffice  ttf-inconsolata  ttf-lyx         ttf-sil-gentium-basic

Along with several others.  None of these show up in the list emacs
generates.  None show up in the full list displayed xlsfonts either.

Googling around, I see a fair number of hits, but they (so far) appear
to be dated to the point of being not very helpful.  It seems a common
theme is to point out the fonts in xorg.conf... but the new debian does
not use xorg.conf any more so not sure how that would be done in that
case.

I have posted a query on the debian user list, but haven't seen a
response yet... (its a very new posting).   But, anyway I thought I
might get help here as well.

I have emacs-23 installed with Debian tools, but run emacs-24 (from 1
week ago) from my own compile.

What can I do to make these fonts accessible to emacs?

* Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-03 23:26 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2011-10-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Harry> What can I do to make these fonts accessible to emacs?

ttf (and PostScript) fonts use the freetype / fontconfig engines, which
are separate from the traditional X bitmapped font rendering stuff.
That is why xlsfonts doesn't know about it.  Try fc-list to see if it is
installed right; then, you should be able to use the name that fc-list
shows in the "Font Family" Emacs customization widget.

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD

* Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-04  1:17   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-04  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Harry> What can I do to make these fonts accessible to emacs?
>
> ttf (and PostScript) fonts use the freetype / fontconfig engines, which
> are separate from the traditional X bitmapped font rendering stuff.
> That is why xlsfonts doesn't know about it.  Try fc-list to see if it is
> installed right; then, you should be able to use the name that fc-list
> shows in the "Font Family" Emacs customization widget.

  fc-list|grep -i incon
 Inconsolata:style=Medium

I've never really understood the term `widget'.  Do you mean something
in the gui menus at the top of emacs?  Or do you just mean the
customization tools?

* Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-04  4:23     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2011-10-04  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Harry> I've never really understood the term `widget'.  Do you mean
Harry> something in the gui menus at the top of emacs?  Or do you just
Harry> mean the customization tools?

I mean the checkbox and edit field next to the label "Font Family" you
get when you do "M-x customize-face".

BTW, which of the Emacs Debian packages do you have?  Lucid or gtk?

--

@ 2011-10-05  3:56       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-05  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Harry> I've never really understood the term `widget'.  Do you mean
> Harry> something in the gui menus at the top of emacs?  Or do you just
> Harry> mean the customization tools?
>
> I mean the checkbox and edit field next to the label "Font Family" you
> get when you do "M-x customize-face".

OK, thanks

> BTW, which of the Emacs Debian packages do you have?  Lucid or gtk?

Neither. . . I'm running a home compiled emacs-24 from bzr.  I think
its using gtk for the gui.

* Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-05 19:08       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-10-05 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Harry> I've never really understood the term `widget'.  Do you mean
> Harry> something in the gui menus at the top of emacs?  Or do you just
> Harry> mean the customization tools?
>
> I mean the checkbox and edit field next to the label "Font Family" you
> get when you do "M-x customize-face".

Thanks.. fc-list shows:

  fc-list  |grep -i incons

  Inconsolata:style=Medium

And fc-list -v shows:

        family: "Inconsolata"(s)
        fullname: "Inconsolata"(s)
        file: "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-[...]

So that nails down the family... is there no `foundry'? (the next
question on the widget list)

But any way, when I set default font `Family' to Inconsolata and
save.  When I reopen emacs, that saved customization has disappeared
and adobe courier comes up in its place.  I commented out any font
related stuff in .Xdefaults for testing so the setting of:
-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1

Must be some kind of system default... or maybe an emacs default.

Someone on another list suggested I put this in .Xdefaults:

 emacs.FontBackend:   xft
 Emacs.font:      Inconsolata-12

(I am running xfs and xfstt servers)

Doing that, then starting emacs-24 from command line I get:
  `Font `Inconsolata-12 ' is not defined'

Same error if use Inconsolata-medium

* Re: Access inconsolata font after installing (debian wheezy)
@ 2011-10-05 23:47         ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2011-10-05 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Harry>  emacs.FontBackend: xft Emacs.font: Inconsolata-12

Try it without the "-12".  If you need a different size, do "M-x
customize-face default", check the checkbox next to "Height" and adjust
the scale.

Harry> (I am running xfs and xfstt servers)

AFAIK that is not relevant, since the font servers only work for
bitmapped fonts.  xft fonts need to be installed locally.  I may be
wrong here, though.

Harry> Doing that, then starting emacs-24 from command line I get: `Font
Harry> `Inconsolata-12 ' is not defined'

I got a similar message when I tried to use a xft font for the menu on
the Lucid build.  It turned out the Lucid toolkit (which is only used
for the menu and for the scrollbar) couldn't handle xft fonts, that is
why I asked which build you had.

Make sure xft is configured in when you build.