all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 24 crash with auto-complete plugin
@ 2011-11-05 13:50 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-11-05 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear list,

I am using emacs from trunk. It is crashing when I activated
auto-complete plugin, its easily reproducible.

here is how you can reproduce the crash,
emacs -q
load auto-complete & auto-complete-config,
change input method to telugu/tamil/kannada-itrans (ofcourse any of one)
now write a repetitive word,
for example type "nuvvu nuvvu"
auto-complete tries to complete the second word and crashes entire emacs.

So my questions are,

can I consider this as a emacs bug? (I believe it is)
how can I make useful bug report when it crashes with out telling
me anything?

Thanks
--
YYR

* Re: emacs 24 crash with auto-complete plugin
@ 2011-11-05 14:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-11-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com>
> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:50:53 +0900
>
> I am using emacs from trunk. It is crashing when I activated
> auto-complete plugin, its easily reproducible.

What is "auto-complete plugin"? where does one get it, and how to
install it in Emacs?

> here is how you can reproduce the crash,
> emacs -q
> load auto-complete & auto-complete-config,
> change input method to telugu/tamil/kannada-itrans (ofcourse any of one)
> now write a repetitive word,
> for example type "nuvvu nuvvu"
> auto-complete tries to complete the second word and crashes entire emacs.
>

> So my questions are,
>
> can I consider this as a emacs bug? (I believe it is)

Any crash is a bug.

> how can I make useful bug report when it crashes with out telling
> me anything?

Type "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" and describe the crash and the recipe
to reproduce it in detail.

Thanks.

* Re: emacs 24 crash with auto-complete plugin
@ 2011-11-05 15:41   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2011-11-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh@live.com>
>> Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:50:53 +0900
>>
>> I am using emacs from trunk. It is crashing when I activated
>> auto-complete plugin, its easily reproducible.
>
> What is "auto-complete plugin"? where does one get it, and how to
> install it in Emacs?

as its web page describes:
"
Auto Complete Mode is the most intelligent auto-completion extension for
GNU Emacs.
"

http://cx4a.org/software/auto-complete/
https://github.com/m2ym/auto-complete.git

(...)

> Type "M-x report-emacs-bug RET" and describe the crash and the recipe
> to reproduce it in detail.

I will soon.

Thank you

--