all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ß (eszett) and regexp trouble
@ 2011-11-19 21:02 Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-11-19 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I just noticed an inconvenience with regexp searching and the ß char.

Try this: C-M-s (isearch-forward-regexp) with [[:lower:][:digit]]
now:

        This is a sentence. All lower chars (like abc or ß !) and
        digits like 123 should be matched.

Well, ß is not matched.

I found some info regarding that problem, e.g.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg00460.html

Yes, ß is problematic (no uppercase version, should be replaced with
SS, but not all SS are ß etc. etc.), but I have to guess german emacs
users must have figured out what to do about this already.

So, what do you do?
Do you use the uppercase ß char in your standard-case-table?
Do you suffer from performance issues doing so?

tia,

Memnon

* Re: ß (eszett) and regexp trouble
@ 2011-11-19 22:34 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-11-19 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.11.2011 um 22:02 schrieb Memnon Anon:

> So, what do you do?

I simply do not try to upcase words with ß. When I really have to I know that left from it is already at least one capital and right from it is another or white space or punctuation. Easy to handle, ißn't it?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Der größte Aberglaube der Gegenwart ist der Glaube an die Vorfahrt.
				(Jacques Tati)

* Re: ß (eszett) and regexp trouble
@ 2011-11-19 23:21   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-11-19 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So, what do you do?
> I simply do not try to upcase words with ß.

This does not only affect upcase-x.
The question that triggered this was about subword-forward.

Memnon