all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (fwd) Re: Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?
@ 2012-01-11  9:34 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2012-01-11  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-01-11 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Alan,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:34, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

>> The tab-width is 8,
>> indent-tabs-mode is t
>> and still, it uses spaces to indent, and only two of them.
>> So obviously neither tab-width nor indent-tabs-mode are obeyed nor
>> respected!
>
>> Please advise,
>
> C# mode is derived from CC Mode, so read the CC Mode manual. =C2=A0:-)
> However, for your specific problem, the variable c-basic-offset needs
> to be set to 8. =C2=A0Currently, it looks like it is 2.

That was the missing piece of information!

With c-basic-offset set to 8, the requested behaviour is obtained.

Thanks Alan,

Guido

--
That must be wonderful: I don't understand it at all.
		-- Moliere

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!

* Re: (fwd) Re: Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?
@ 2012-01-11 14:26   ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2012-01-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: Alan Mackenzie, help-gnu-emacs

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

>>> The tab-width is 8,
>>> indent-tabs-mode is t
>>> and still, it uses spaces to indent, and only two of them.
>>> So obviously neither tab-width nor indent-tabs-mode are obeyed nor
>>> respected!
>>
>>> Please advise,
>>
>> C# mode is derived from CC Mode, so read the CC Mode manual. :-)

Alan: there are mentions to cc-mode all around csharp-mode.el. Your name
is prominently mentioned on the Acknowledgements section too. It would
be even nicer if CC Mode were capitalized correctly, though. :-)

>> However, for your specific problem, the variable c-basic-offset needs
>> to be set to 8. Currently, it looks like it is 2.
>
> That was the missing piece of information!
>
> With c-basic-offset set to 8, the requested behaviour is obtained.

The function hook I recommended you to try on a previous message
activated the "C#" style, which is defined into csharp-mode:

(defun my-csharp-mode-fn ()
  (c-set-style "C#")
  (setq tab-width 4)
  (setq indent-tabs-mode t))

(add-hook 'csharp-mode-hook 'my-csharp-mode-fn)

It sets c-basic-offset to 4. So with that setup you should see tabs
instead of spaces too. I wonder why you didn't.

* Re: (fwd) Re: Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?
@ 2012-01-11 15:22     ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-01-11 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: Alan Mackenzie, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Óscar,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 15:26, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

>>> C# mode is derived from CC Mode, so read the CC Mode manual. :-)
>
> Alan: there are mentions to cc-mode all around csharp-mode.el. Your name
> is prominently mentioned on the Acknowledgements section too. It would
> be even nicer if CC Mode were capitalized correctly, though. :-)
>
>>> However, for your specific problem, the variable c-basic-offset needs
>>> to be set to 8. Currently, it looks like it is 2.
>>
>> That was the missing piece of information!
>>
>> With c-basic-offset set to 8, the requested behaviour is obtained.
>
> The function hook I recommended you to try on a previous message
> activated the "C#" style, which is defined into csharp-mode:
>
> (defun my-csharp-mode-fn ()
>  (c-set-style "C#")
>  (setq tab-width 4)
>  (setq indent-tabs-mode t))
>
> (add-hook 'csharp-mode-hook 'my-csharp-mode-fn)
>
> It sets c-basic-offset to 4. So with that setup you should see tabs
> instead of spaces too. I wonder why you didn't.

Well, on the one hand, c-basic-offset should be 8 for this case, but on the
other hand, emacs complains with "Undefined style: C#" when entering c# mode.

Kind regards,

Guido

--
	"And what will you do when you grow up to be as big as me?"
asked the father of his little son.

@ 2012-01-11 17:42       ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2012-01-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: Alan Mackenzie, help-gnu-emacs

>>> That was the missing piece of information!
>>>
>>> With c-basic-offset set to 8, the requested behaviour is obtained.
>>
>> The function hook I recommended you to try on a previous message
>> activated the "C#" style, which is defined into csharp-mode:
>>
>> (defun my-csharp-mode-fn ()
>>  (c-set-style "C#")
>>  (setq tab-width 4)
>>  (setq indent-tabs-mode t))
>>
>> (add-hook 'csharp-mode-hook 'my-csharp-mode-fn)
>>
>> It sets c-basic-offset to 4. So with that setup you should see tabs
>> instead of spaces too. I wonder why you didn't.
>
> Well, on the one hand, c-basic-offset should be 8 for this case,

No. The hook sets tab-width to 4 and the C# style indents by 4 columns,
which was precisely what you wanted, IIRC.

> but on the other hand, emacs complains with "Undefined style: C#" when
> entering c# mode.

My version of csharp-mode.el is 0.8.6, from May 2011. It defines the C#
style at line 5219:

(c-add-style "C#"

* Re: (fwd) Re: Trying to use only tabs for indenting c# files - csharp-mode error?
@ 2012-01-11 20:04         ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2012-01-11 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: Alan Mackenzie, help-gnu-emacs

Hi

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:42, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:

>>> The function hook I recommended you to try on a previous message
>>> activated the "C#" style, which is defined into csharp-mode:
>>>
>>> (defun my-csharp-mode-fn ()
>>>  (c-set-style "C#")
>>>  (setq tab-width 4)
>>>  (setq indent-tabs-mode t))
>>>
>>> (add-hook 'csharp-mode-hook 'my-csharp-mode-fn)
>>>
>>> It sets c-basic-offset to 4. So with that setup you should see tabs
>>> instead of spaces too. I wonder why you didn't.
>>
>> Well, on the one hand, c-basic-offset should be 8 for this case,
>
> No. The hook sets tab-width to 4 and the C# style indents by 4 columns,
> which was precisely what you wanted, IIRC.

Not really, the technical lead wants only indentation by means of tabs, and
they set the display width to 4. My understanding is that tab-width 4 would
lead to using spaces for the trailing 'odd' tab (e.g. create 3 indentations
with one tab and 4 spaces).

>> but on the other hand, emacs complains with "Undefined style: C#" when
>> entering c# mode.
>
> My version of csharp-mode.el is 0.8.6, from May 2011. It defines the C# style
> at line 5219:
>
> (c-add-style "C#"  ...

Same version here, still that's the error message.

Kind Regards,

Guido

--
Put a pot of chili on the stove to simmer.
Let it simmer.  Meanwhile, broil a good steak.

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!