all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs hangs when using tramp with su
@ 2012-04-03 15:24 Mathias Millet
From: Mathias Millet @ 2012-04-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,
After reinstalling my system, I found out that I couldnt have tramp
working anymore, it hangs right after i enter my password.

Here is what exactly happens : I type in /C-x C-f /su:root@localhost:/
Here emacs asks for my password, which I provide. It then hangs, showing
the above string in the minibuffer, and after some time : /Tramp:
Waiting for prompts from remote shell/

After i cancel the operation, i have :

Here is what is in the /tramp/su root@localhost/ buffer :

|Password: Password:
su: incorrect password

Process *tramp/su root@localhost* exited abnormally with code 125

And here is what's in /debug tramp/su root@localhost :
/http://pastebin.com/0CKD1yM3

The last line :

|  17:13:59.988240 tramp-file-name-handler (1) # Interrupt received in operation (file-exists-p /su:root@localhost:)|

seems to say that the hangs happens inside *tramp-file-name-handler* or
*file-exists-p /su:root@localhost:*, but i don't really know what to do
with that...

I have no idea of what might cause this, the installation is just really
new (I don't remember if this worked at some point, but there was no
problem at all before I reinstall).
So if anyone has an idea of what might cause this, I've been searching
but couldn't find anything really usefull...

Thanks

* Re: Emacs hangs when using tramp with su
@ 2012-04-03 17:49 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-04-03 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Millet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mathias Millet <mathiasmillet@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,

Hi Mathias,

> After reinstalling my system, I found out that I couldnt have tramp
> working anymore, it hangs right after i enter my password.
>
> Here is what exactly happens : I type in C-x C-f /su:root@localhost:
> Here emacs asks for my password, which I provide. It then hangs,
> showing the above string in the minibuffer, and after some time :
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>
> After i cancel the operation, i have :
>
> Here is what is in the tramp/su root@localhost buffer :
>
> Password: Password:
> su: incorrect password
>
> Process *tramp/su root@localhost* exited abnormally with code 125
>
> And here is what's in debug tramp/su root@localhost :
> http://pastebin.com/0CKD1yM3

It is not the complete debug buffer. For further analysis. I would need
the full Tramp traces (best send as attachment, non-ASCII chars matter!).

If you do not want to show the traces publicly, you could send them to
me off list.

> So if anyone has an idea of what might cause this, I've been searching
> but couldn't find anything really usefull...

At least the first line of your trace looks very suspicious, a lot of
escape sequences in the prompt.

> Thanks

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Emacs hangs when using tramp with su
@ 2012-04-03 18:47   ` Mathias Millet
From: Mathias Millet @ 2012-04-03 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael,
as requested, here are the needed files.
My emacs version is :
GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
  of 2012-02-01 on shirley.hoetzel.info

Thanks for your answer,

Best regards,

Mathias

On 03/04/2012 19:49, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Mathias Millet<mathiasmillet@gmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
> Hi Mathias,
>
>> After reinstalling my system, I found out that I couldnt have tramp
>> working anymore, it hangs right after i enter my password.
>>
>> Here is what exactly happens : I type in C-x C-f /su:root@localhost:
>> Here emacs asks for my password, which I provide. It then hangs,
>> showing the above string in the minibuffer, and after some time :
>> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>>
>> After i cancel the operation, i have :
>>
>> Here is what is in the tramp/su root@localhost buffer :
>>
>> Password: Password:
>> su: incorrect password
>>
>> Process *tramp/su root@localhost* exited abnormally with code 125
>>
>> And here is what's in debug tramp/su root@localhost :
>> http://pastebin.com/0CKD1yM3
> It is not the complete debug buffer. For further analysis. I would need
> the full Tramp traces (best send as attachment, non-ASCII chars matter!).
>
> If you do not want to show the traces publicly, you could send them to
> me off list.
>
>> So if anyone has an idea of what might cause this, I've been searching
>> but couldn't find anything really usefull...
> At least the first line of your trace looks very suspicious, a lot of
> escape sequences in the prompt.
>
>> Thanks
> Best regards, Michael.

[-- Attachment #2: tramp-debug.tar --]
[-- Type: application/x-tar, Size: 491520 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs hangs when using tramp with su
@ 2012-04-03 19:01     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-04-03 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Millet; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mathias Millet <mathiasmillet@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Mathias,

> as requested, here are the needed files.
> My emacs version is :
> GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9)
>  of 2012-02-01 on shirley.hoetzel.info

As suspected, Tramp is hanging in an unrecognizable prompt (showing ansi
colors):

;; GNU Emacs: 23.4.1 Tramp: 2.1.21-pre -*- mode: outline; -*-
20:27:40.648463 tramp-accept-process-output (10) #
#$
20:27:40.666808 tramp-send-string (10) # exec su - root
20:27:40.680922 tramp-accept-process-output (10) #
Password:
20:27:43.066638 tramp-accept-process-output (10) #

[0;33m( [1;33m~ [0;33m)[1;31m  >[0;31m>[0m

... and so on. What happens, if you call from a terminal "exec su - root"?

Does it help, if you unset the prompt in root's .profile?

> Best regards,
>
> Mathias

Best regards, Michael.