all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [org-mode] org-protocol commands are treated as filenames
@ 2013-02-18 18:36 Stu White
       [not found] ` <mailman.20315.1361222033.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stu White @ 2013-02-18 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi folks,

(I hope that this is the right place to ask this question; if not then if you could point me in the right direction of where to ask it then I'd appreciate it.)

I'm trying to get org-protocol working, and I've hit a snag that I'm hoping is something basic that I'm missing because I'm new to Emacs.

I've followed the instructions on the web (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html). However, when I launch Emacs with a command-line argument consisting of an org-protocol command then Emacs treats it as a filename rather than a command.

For example, if I run:

\emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/www.google.com/Google

Then I see in my buffer list that I'm editing a file called "C:\trash\org-protocol:/store-link:/www.google.com/Google" (or whatever).

I'm using Emacs 24.2, and all I've got in my init.el is:

(server-start)
(require 'org-protocol)

I believe that's all I need as org-protocol is included in 24.2 by default.

Is there some special command that I'm missing that instructs Emacs that an argument should not be treated as a filename? Or is my problem more complex than that?

Many thanks for any guidance you can give -- I'm a little new to all this, and the learning curve is quite steep.

Cheers,
Stu

* Re: [org-mode] org-protocol commands are treated as filenames
@ 2013-02-18 21:13 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.20315.1361222033.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stu White; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Stu,

Stu White <stubillwhite@gmail.com> writes:

> (I hope that this is the right place to ask this question; if not then if
> you could point me in the right direction of where to ask it then I'd
> appreciate it.)

Org is part of Emacs, so there is nothing wrong with asking an Org
question here, of course -- but you will generally have faster answers
if you ask on the Org-mode mailing list:

> I'm trying to get org-protocol working, and I've hit a snag that I'm hoping is something basic that I'm missing because I'm new to Emacs.
>
> I've followed the instructions on the web
> (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html). However, when I
> launch Emacs with a command-line argument consisting of an org-protocol
> command then Emacs treats it as a filename rather than a command.
>
> For example, if I run:
>
> \emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/www.google.com/Google

What if you use a URL like this:

\emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/http://www.gnu.org/GNU
                                                           ^^^^^^^

?

> Is there some special command that I'm missing that instructs Emacs that an
> argument should not be treated as a filename? Or is my problem more complex
> than that?

It needs to recognize the link as a link, and www.gnu.org is just a
domain name.

> Many thanks for any guidance you can give -- I'm a little new to all
> this, and the learning curve is quite steep.

We've all been there, please let us know if the hint above solves your
problem!

All best,

--
 Bastien

@ 2013-02-20 13:31   ` Stu White
From: Stu White @ 2013-02-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: Stu White, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for the quick response -- much appreciated.

On Monday, 18 February 2013 21:13:28 UTC, Bastien  wrote:
> Stu White writes:
> > I'm trying to get org-protocol working, and I've hit a snag that I'm hoping
> > is something basic that I'm missing because I'm new to Emacs.
>
> What if you use a URL like this:
>
> \emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/http://www.gnu.org/GNU

That doesn't seem to work for me, either. It looks from my buffer menu like I'm
editing

  c:/Users/USERNAME/my_local_stuff/home/utils/bin/org-protocol:/store-link:/http:/www.gnu.org/GNU

I wondered if this was due to characters not being encoded in the URL, so I
looked at the examples on the wiki
(http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.html) and tried one of their
links, as they seem to encode the URL.

The "Org store-link" link on that page triggers the following:

  \emacs-24.2\bin\emacsclientw.exe org-protocol:/store-link:/http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org%2Fworg%2Forg-contrib%2Forg-protocol.html/org-protocol.el%20%E2%80%93%20Intercept%20calls%20from%20emacsclient%20to%20trigger%20custom%20actions/

Looking in the buffer menu, it seems like I'm editing

  c:/Users/IBM_ADMIN/my_local_stuff/home/utils/bin/org-protocol:/store-link:/http%3A%2F%2Forgmode.org%2Fworg%2Forg-contrib%2Forg-protocol.html/org-protocol.el%20%E2%80%93%20Intercept%20calls%20from%20emacsclient%20to%20trigger%20custom%20actions/

I'm not sure what's going on there. It looks like Emacs is by default
prepending the working directory to the start of the argument.

Any other ideas? If not, I'll try the org-mode mailing list you recommended; it
may be that this is a fairly odd edge case...

Many thanks,

@ 2013-02-21  8:16     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-21  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stu White; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, gnu.emacs.help

Hi Stu,

Stu White <stubillwhite@gmail.com> writes:

> Any other ideas? If not, I'll try the org-mode mailing list you
> recommended; it may be that this is a fairly odd edge case...

yes, please do so -- I'm now focusing on the 8.0 release of Org
mode and I cannot dedicate enough time to such issues.

Also, please remember to tell what is your Org version.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien