1. M-s h r something 2. Modify buffer. 3. Revert buffer. 4. M-: hi-lock-interactive-patterns Verify that variable is non-nil. 5. M-x hi-lock-mode. (For now do it by hand.) 6. See that highlighting kicks in. My expectation was that once `hi-lock-mode' is turned on `font-lock-mode-hook' will be *automatically* called. Is it the minor mode's responsibility to explicitly call it's fontification handler? > >> Problem area: `font-lock-mode-hook' is not documented and I really >> don't when it is getting called. > > font-lock-mode is a normal minor-mode, so font-lock-mode-hook is called > at the end of running font-lock-mode (both to enable and to disable it). > > > Stefan