all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Auctex: Configure the cases when recompile is necessary
@ 2013-05-11  7:55 Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-05-11  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sometimes tex files need to compiled two or more times to get all
references correctly. It can be table of contents or "totcount" package
or navigation buttons in Beamer package.

Auctex does not always detect this need. Specifically my "totcount"
counters and Beamer navigation changes don't trigger re-compile. Is
there a way to configure this? Maybe using an external script for
compiling?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Auctex: Configure the cases when recompile is necessary
@ 2013-05-11 10:09 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-05-11 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.05.2013 um 09:55 schrieb Teemu Likonen:

> Is there a way to configure this? Maybe using an external script for compiling?

Latexmk?

--
Greetings

  Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law

* Re: Auctex: Configure the cases when recompile is necessary
@ 2013-05-11 10:39   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-05-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa [2013-05-11 12:09:38 +02:00] wrote:

> Am 11.05.2013 um 09:55 schrieb Teemu Likonen:
>> Is there a way to configure this? Maybe using an external script for
>> compiling?
>
> Latexmk?

I've been trying various things and I can get it mostly work with my own
scripts too. Then I realized that I almost always need to run the
xelatex compiler twice, so why not just write a script that simply runs
the command twice? There is probably no need for complicated magic. :-)

@ 2013-05-11 21:22 ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-05-11 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> Auctex does not always detect this need. Specifically my "totcount"
> counters and Beamer navigation changes don't trigger re-compile. Is
> there a way to configure this? Maybe using an external script for
> compiling?

You can try rubber (a python wrapper for latex, pdflatex and maybe
others too), and configure TeX-command-list accordingly

Julien.

* Re: Auctex: Configure the cases when recompile is necessary
@ 2013-05-13  8:58     ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-05-13  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> I've been trying various things and I can get it mostly work with my own
> scripts too. Then I realized that I almost always need to run the
> xelatex compiler twice, so why not just write a script that simply runs
> the command twice? There is probably no need for complicated magic. :-)

Sometimes it requires three or more compilation, or it might require to
call an external (non-latex) process between two latex passes (e.g.
bibtex). Latexmk takes care of many cases automagically by using a
make-like dependency system and using a list of files provided by latex
(.fls file, obtained by adding the -recorder option to latex on any
recent latex installation).

Also Latexmk tries hard to not run latex if the target file is already
up to date, thus saving your much time when compiling the whole document
(another huge time saver is to compile only the region within auctex.)

Using Latexmk is usually as simple as calling "latexmk yourfile.tex"
(options such as -pdf or -xelatex can be used and a have an obvious
meaning).

If you use specific extensions that are yet unknown to latexmk (such as
sagetex or asymptote) you need to create a config file to tell latexmk
about it (to do once, then forget about it) ; refer to the doc if that's
your case.

Similar (or complementary) tools exist, such as rubber already
mentionned, but I don't know anything about them.

Really, using these tools will save your time in most classical
situations, including multifile documents with multiple bibliographies
(at least when they're all in one folder ; subfolders are a bit more
complicated in my experience).

--
N.

* Re: Auctex: Configure the cases when recompile is necessary
@ 2013-05-13 16:10       ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-05-13 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Richard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs