() Paul Eggert () Mon, 01 Jul 2013 14:25:06 -0700 On 07/01/2013 11:30 AM, Stephen Berman wrote: > if people think "persistently" is wrong here, and "permanently" > doesn't lead to the expectation that only one change is possible, > then the latter is fine with me. if "persistent" is preferable then it'd be fine to reword the doc to say something like "make the change persistent". Another way is to rephrase to explicitly state the time frame, e.g., "change FOO for the duration of the session". > The other case involves two places where I wrote > "cross-categorial", which Paul changed to "cross-category" I used "cross-category" over "cross-categorial" because the former is in aspell's dictionary and the latter is not -- sorry, I wasn't familiar with either term. If you intend the social-science connotation please change it back to "cross-categorial", otherwise I suggest leaving it alone as "cross-category" is less likely to furrow readers' brows. Also, "categorial" can be mistaken for a mispelling of "categorical". Personally, i think nouns that are adjectivized by prefixing w/ an adjective (and hyphen) should maintain their spelling: cross-category not cross-categorial / cross-categorical top-shelf top-shelfish / top-shelved hot-dog hot-doggy Stuff like "super-chocolaty yumminess" is simply beyond the pale... -- Thien-Thi Nguyen GPG key: 4C807502