all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus-summary-cancel-article
@ 2013-07-04 11:18 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I accidentally sent a post three times to gnu.emacs.help - sorry
about that, but perhaps it wasn't so grave a mistake because some
lists/groups and/or clients (?) discard duplicate messages as
flood/spam protection - anyway, I tried

gnus-summary-cancel-article

but it said

Couldn't send message via news: 441 Invalid Control Message

My question - is this anything that works anymore or is it a
wasted effort, perhaps especially for the list/group hybrids?

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: gnus-summary-cancel-article
@ 2013-07-04 11:52 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.216.1372942181.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2013-07-04 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emanuel,

,----[ (info "(gnus)Canceling and Superseding") ]
| Have you ever written something, and then decided that you really,
| really, really wish you hadn’t posted that?
|
|    Well, you can’t cancel mail, but you can cancel posts.
|
|    Find the article you wish to cancel (you can only cancel your own
| articles, so don’t try any funny stuff).  Then press ‘C’ or ‘S c’
| (‘gnus-summary-cancel-article’).  Your article will be canceled—machines
| all over the world will be deleting your article.  This command uses the
| process/prefix convention (*note Process/Prefix::).
|
|    Be aware, however, that not all sites honor cancels, so your article
| may live on here and there, while most sites will delete the article in
| question.
`----

So probably your news server doesn't honor cancels.  I remember that
some time ago, I did cancel an article of mine at our local news server,
so it should work in certain cases.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-summary-cancel-article
@ 2013-07-04 12:49 ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found] ` <mailman.216.1372942181.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-07-04 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg [2013-07-04 13:18:03 +02:00] wrote:

> gnus-summary-cancel-article
>
> but it said
>
> Couldn't send message via news: 441 Invalid Control Message

My news server rejects Gnus's cancel messages unless I change the
control message's "Subject" field from "cmsg cancel" to "cancel". I do
this change automatically with message-cancel-hook (see below). Years
ago I browsed news server's control message group and learnt how to make
cancel messages work.

(add-hook 'message-cancel-hook 'tl-message-cancel-hook)

(defun tl-message-cancel-hook ()
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (save-match-data
        (message-narrow-to-head)
        (let ((case-fold-search nil))
          (when (re-search-forward "^Subject: \\(cmsg \\)cancel" nil t)
            (delete-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1))))))))

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

@ 2013-07-04 18:22   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-07-04 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

>> gnus-summary-cancel-article
>>
>> but it said
>>
>> Couldn't send message via news: 441 Invalid Control Message
>
> My news server rejects Gnus's cancel messages unless I change
> the control message's "Subject" field from "cmsg cancel" to
> "cancel". I do this change automatically with
> message-cancel-hook (see below). Years ago I browsed news
> server's control message group and learnt how to make cancel
> messages work.

Yeah - at least, I didn't get any error message, so I guess it
worked! Wow!

--

@ 2013-07-06 18:21   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-07-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emanuel Berg

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> My news server rejects Gnus's cancel messages unless I change the
> control message's "Subject" field from "cmsg cancel" to "cancel".

I've now changes message.el to use "cancel" instead of "cmsg cancel".