all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient: "*ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"
@ 2013-07-13  0:08 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,

say I call emacsclient with something like

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| $ emacsclient -s server -e "(eval-buffer (find-file-noselect \"...\")"
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and forget a closing paren (like above) or make another silly mistake and get:

,------------------------------------
| *ERROR*: End of file during parsing
`------------------------------------

When I launch other (correct) emacsclient calls after such an error, I
often get

,-----------------------------------------------------------------
| *ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
`-----------------------------------------------------------------

besides that no frames or visible buffers are involved. How can I avoid
that?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: emacsclient: "*ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"
@ 2013-07-13  0:18 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-07-13  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: Emacs Help List

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> ,------------------------------------
> | *ERROR*: End of file during parsing
> `------------------------------------
>
> When I launch other (correct) emacsclient calls after such an error, I
> often get
>
> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------
> | *ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
> `-----------------------------------------------------------------

An example of "other (correct) emacsclient call", please? I cannot
reproduce this.

Which version of Emacs are you running?

Can you show a recipe to reproduce the problem starting from emacs -Q?

> besides that no frames or visible buffers are involved. How can I avoid
> that?

I don't understant this. Are you running emacs in daemon mode?

   Juanma

* Re: emacsclient: "*ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer"
@ 2013-07-13  9:34   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-07-13  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ,------------------------------------
>> | *ERROR*: End of file during parsing
>> `------------------------------------
>>
>> When I launch other (correct) emacsclient calls after such an error, I
>> often get
>>
>> ,-----------------------------------------------------------------
>> | *ERROR*: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
>> `-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> An example of "other (correct) emacsclient call", please? I cannot
> reproduce this.
>
> Which version of Emacs are you running?
>
> Can you show a recipe to reproduce the problem starting from emacs -Q?

Unfortunately not, it happened all the time yesterday, today I can't
reproduce it any more.

>> besides that no frames or visible buffers are involved. How can I avoid
>> that?
>
> I don't understant this. Are you running emacs in daemon mode?

yes

When it happens again, I will try to give a recipe to reproduce it and
all the system-info, thanks so far, and sorry for the noise.

--
cheers,
Thorsten