all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scala with Emacs
@ 2013-10-04  2:33 willmann817
       [not found] ` <mailman.3377.1380868002.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: willmann817 @ 2013-10-04  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Good Evening,

I am brand new to Emacs.  I have done a few tutorials and though it will take me awhile to get use to all the new keyboard shortcuts I am confident I can pick it up if I continue to force myself to use it.

I need help understanding a few things first though specifically regarding to scala. I have Emacs for Windows.  I am running Windows 7.  I already have the scala language installed on my machine. This is the major mode that I want to use: https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2

Here are my questions:

How to install this?  I have read about editing the emacs.el file or emacs.init and stuff like that and stuff about MELPA and I still do not understand it.  I did find an emacs.el file but I did not know where to add the code from the readme in that file.  Is there anything else I need to do?

Since I am not an Emacs power user and have not learned Emacs Lisp yet is there anyone who can give me very simple step by step instructions (to include file names and paths and code etc.) that I need to properly add the scala-mode2 (see link above) to my emacs.

Thanks a bunch!

-Will

* Re: Scala with Emacs
@ 2013-10-04  6:26 ` Thorsten Jolitz
       [not found] ` <mailman.3377.1380868002.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-10-04  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

willmann817@gmail.com writes:

Hi,

> This is the major mode that I want to
> use: https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2

look here

,----------------------------------------
| https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2
`----------------------------------------

for detailled installation instruction.

Maybe have a look at ENSIME

,--------------------------------------
| https://github.com/aemoncannon/ensime
`--------------------------------------

too, which is based on scala-mode2.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Scala with Emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.3377.1380868002.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-10-04 13:18   ` willmann817
From: willmann817 @ 2013-10-04 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, October 4, 2013 2:26:17 AM UTC-4, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> willmann817@gmail.com writes:
>

> Hi,
>

> > This is the major mode that I want to
>
> > use: https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2
>

> look here
>

> ,----------------------------------------
>
> | https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2
>
> `----------------------------------------
>

> for detailled installation instruction.
>

> Maybe have a look at ENSIME
>

> ,--------------------------------------
>
> | https://github.com/aemoncannon/ensime
>
> `--------------------------------------
>

> too, which is based on scala-mode2.
>

> --
>
> cheers,
>
> Thorsten

Thorsten,

I read the README file but I do not understand how to edit the .emacs file.  I do not even know where this file is or how to open it.  Once open, where in the file do I add the code?

Thanks For your reply,

Will

* Re: Scala with Emacs
@ 2013-10-04 13:36     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-10-04 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

willmann817@gmail.com writes:

> On Friday, October 4, 2013 2:26:17 AM UTC-4, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> willmann817@gmail.com writes:
>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> > This is the major mode that I want to
>>
>> > use: https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2
>>

>> look here
>>

>> ,----------------------------------------
>>
>> | https://github.com/hvesalai/scala-mode2
>>
>> `----------------------------------------
>>

>> for detailled installation instruction.
>>

>> Maybe have a look at ENSIME
>>

>> ,--------------------------------------
>>
>> | https://github.com/aemoncannon/ensime
>>
>> `--------------------------------------
>>

>> too, which is based on scala-mode2.
>>

>> --
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Thorsten
>
> Thorsten,
>
> I read the README file but I do not understand how to edit the .emacs file. I
> do not even know where this file is or how to open it. Once open, where in the
> file do I add the code?
>
> Thanks For your reply,

In the tutorial I see this:

"Add the following to your emacs config (.emacs, init.el, etc), if such a
definition already exists, ensure that it contains the MELPA declaration:"

,------------------------------------------------------------------
| (require 'package)
| (add-to-list 'package-archives
|              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)
| (package-initialize)
| (unless (package-installed-p 'scala-mode2)
|   (package-refresh-contents) (package-install 'scala-mode2))
`------------------------------------------------------------------

Add it anywhere, doesn't matter (assumed you don't have any other
package related stuff in your .emacs).

Normally you have something like:

,---------------------
| "~/.emacs"   or
| "~/.emacs.d/init.el"
`---------------------

i.e. search in your home directory for one of these two:
.emacs or .emacs.d.

When you are able to start Emacs, then open it with Emacs!
Should be in emacs-lisp-mode, if not do M-x emacs-lisp-mode
in the buffer, and M-x eval-buffer after inserting the code above.

Then follow the tutorial to check if it worked.

--
Cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Scala with Emacs
@ 2013-10-04 15:28       ` Florian v. Savigny
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3419.1380909060.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Florian v. Savigny @ 2013-10-04 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  > Normally you have something like:
  >
  > ,---------------------
  > | "~/.emacs"   or
  > | "~/.emacs.d/init.el"
  > `---------------------
  >
  > i.e. search in your home directory for one of these two:
  > .emacs or .emacs.d.

I understand Will is a Windows user, so he might not be too familiar
with the concept of the home directory.

So, just in case:

Check what your %HOME% variable contains, if there is any ("echo
%HOME%" on the prompt). If there is none, I guess it is a good idea to
set one (on older Windows versions, you had to press Win + Pause to
invoke the dialogue for setting variables - I suspect Win7 is
similar).

Best regards,

Florian

* Re: Scala with Emacs
@ 2013-10-04 17:50         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3419.1380909060.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-10-04 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:28:49 -0400
> From: florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny)
>
> I understand Will is a Windows user, so he might not be too familiar
> with the concept of the home directory.

Windows users have a home directory since Windows 2000, if not
earlier.

* Re: Scala with Emacs
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3419.1380909060.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-10-04 20:33           ` willmann817
From: willmann817 @ 2013-10-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, October 4, 2013 1:50:32 PM UTC-4, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:28:49 -0400
>
> > From: florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny)
>

> > I understand Will is a Windows user, so he might not be too familiar
>
> > with the concept of the home directory.
>

> Windows users have a home directory since Windows 2000, if not
>
> earlier.

I am familiar with the home directory.  I believe it is in the form of environment variables.  I also regularly use Red Hat in a school computer lab.  This is why I am trying to become good with emacs because I am attracted to how powerful it is.  I want to use it for a lot of different things and many different programming languages instead of using IDLE for Python, and Eclipse for Java, and so on and so on.  I want to be able to program everything in emacs.