all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customize themed face
@ 2013-11-03 12:20 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-11-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to customize the face `bm-face` (from the bm.el package from
<https://github.com/joodland/bm>), but somehow I can't get rid of the
fore- and background colors. I'm using the anti-zenburn-theme, which
somehow seems to have something to do with the problem.

If I run `emacs -Q` and then load the file bm.el, I can use Customize to
unset the colors and add an underline. If I load anti-zenburn-theme.el,
the colors are set to those specified in the theme and they stay that
way, even if I uncheck them in the Customize buffer.

Only doing

(set-face-attribute 'bm-face nil :underline t :foreground nil :background nil)

works, i.e., explicitly setting fore- and background to nil.

Is this expected behaviour for themed faces? Or should I report this as
a bug?

Emacs is 24.3, BTW.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: customize themed face
@ 2013-11-05  2:42 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-05  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to customize the face `bm-face` (from the
> bm.el package from <https://github.com/joodland/bm>),
> but somehow I can't get rid of the fore- and
> background colors. I'm using the anti-zenburn-theme,
> which somehow seems to have something to do with the
> problem.
>
> If I run `emacs -Q` and then load the file bm.el, I
> can use Customize to unset the colors and add an
> underline. If I load anti-zenburn-theme.el, the colors
> are set to those specified in the theme and they stay
> that way, even if I uncheck them in the Customize
> buffer.
>
> Only doing
>
> (set-face-attribute 'bm-face nil :underline t
> :foreground nil :background nil)
>
> works, i.e., explicitly setting fore- and background to
> nil.

I don't get it - why are you setting *both* fore- and
background to nil? Won't that mean that text in that
"face" can't be read?

This is how I set all my faces. I don't like custom (in
particular the fullbuffer UI) but that doesn't mean I
can't use it in a way I like it, in my .emacs:

(custom-set-faces
 ;;; DIRED
 '(dired-directory ((t (:foreground "blue"    :bold t))))
 '(dired-header    ((t (:foreground "green"   :bold t))))
 '(dired-ignored   ((t (:foreground "magenta" :bold nil))))
 ; etc.
)

If it is changed and evaluated, change is instantaneous.

I don't know if this related to your question, though.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: customize themed face
@ 2013-11-05  7:20   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-11-05  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:
>> (set-face-attribute 'bm-face nil :underline t
>> :foreground nil :background nil)
>>
>> works, i.e., explicitly setting fore- and background to
>> nil.
>
> I don't get it - why are you setting *both* fore- and
> background to nil? Won't that mean that text in that
> "face" can't be read?

No, it means that the default fore- and background color are used. It
should be the same thing as unchecking the boxes for fore- and
background color in Customize, but for some reason, when I do that, the
themed color remain.

--

@ 2013-11-05 16:20     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (set-face-attribute 'bm-face nil :underline t
>>> :foreground nil :background nil)
>>> works, i.e., explicitly setting fore- and background
>>> to nil.
>>
>> I don't get it - why are you setting *both* fore- and
>> background to nil? Won't that mean that text in that
>> "face" can't be read?
>
> No, it means that the default fore- and background
> color are used. It should be the same thing as
> unchecking the boxes for fore- and background color in
> Customize, but for some reason, when I do that, the
> themed color remain.

OK, but why don't you just set the color to whatever
color you like?

--

@ 2013-11-05 16:47       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2013-11-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:

>>> I don't get it - why are you setting *both* fore- and
>>> background to nil? Won't that mean that text in that
>>> "face" can't be read?
>>
>> No, it means that the default fore- and background
>> color are used. It should be the same thing as
>> unchecking the boxes for fore- and background color in
>> Customize, but for some reason, when I do that, the
>> themed color remain.
>
> OK, but why don't you just set the color to whatever
> color you like?

Because I don't want to. ;-) I want bm-type bookmarks to be marked with
underline, but the colors of the characters I'm putting the bookmark on
should remain the same, whatever they are. This works as long as I don't
load the anti-zenburn theme (I haven't tried with other themes,
something I probably should do... I just wanted to know if this is a
known problem or not.)

--

@ 2013-11-05 16:49         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-05 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> Because I don't want to. ;-) I want bm-type bookmarks
> to be marked with underline, but the colors of the
> characters I'm putting the bookmark on should remain
> the same, whatever they are. This works as long as I
> don't load the anti-zenburn theme (I haven't tried
> with other themes, something I probably should do... I
> just wanted to know if this is a known problem or
> not.)

Aha, OK. I didn't even know there were themes for Emacs!