() Lennart Borgman () Tue, 7 Jan 2014 01:02:53 +0100 There are trade offs, but it is bad logic to say it is a bad idea just because of that of course. The idea may or may not be bad, but what's that have to do w/ reality? I think the consequence would be a rapid influx of new users, keen to experience the Emacs phenomenon, who just as rapidly leave, disgusted, when all the net.wisdom is largely for the "old (crufty, not the groovy spectacle i was promised, this sucks, where's my refund)" Emacs. If they do manage to stick around, OTOH, they will need to join the rest of us in contemplating, working around, justifying, and (in the end) condemning the "wanton bifurcation" to their non-Emacs-using and (what's worse) Emacs-using non-programmer friends. All archived (thanks NSA), and now net.wisdom is net.dissipation. Ugh. On the third hand, who [hn]eeds commentary/code more than 3 solar cycles past, right? The sages of Pompeii, they [dl]ie like fools. Carry on! -- Thien-Thi Nguyen GPG key: 4C807502 (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: (responsep (questions 'technical) (not (via 'mailing-list))) => nil