all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
@ 2015-05-03 20:34 Jonathan Yip
From: Jonathan Yip @ 2015-05-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie in emacs and tried to use eww following the menu but the mini buffer says [no match].
I reckoned the problem maybe that my emacs on my OS X Yosemite is 22.1.1, so I tried to upgrade it via Macport. The emacs on Macport is ver 24.5 but somehow I just cannot upgrade it. After doing the usual sudo port install emacs, the version on my machine is still 22.1.1.

I wonder if there's any way around they problem?
Thanks.

* Re: Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
@ 2015-05-04  9:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-05-04  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Yip; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jonathan Yip <alta.aqua@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jonathan,

> I wonder if there's any way around they problem?

I suspect the new version is indeed installed but not on your PATH (or
its directory comes after the directory of the default pre-installed
one).  Or maybe you use an application launcher which belongs to the old
version.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
@ 2015-05-04 10:41 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-05-04 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jonathan Yip <alta.aqua@gmail.com> writes:

> I reckoned the problem maybe that my emacs on my OS X Yosemite
> is 22.1.1

Tassilo has already responded to your overall question, but i have
to ask: is 22.1.1 the version of Emacs shipped with Yosemite by
default??  Or have you been using OS X for a while, and simply
upgraded OS X without updating Emacs along the way? It would be a
bit concerning if Apple is still shipping a version of Emacs that
is more based on Carbon than Cocoa (and indeed, predates by a
month the release of the first iPhone!) ....

Alexis.

* Re: Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
@ 2015-05-04 10:58   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2015-05-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Jonathan Yip <alta.aqua@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I reckoned the problem maybe that my emacs on my OS X Yosemite is
>> 22.1.1
>
> Tassilo has already responded to your overall question, but i have to
> ask: is 22.1.1 the version of Emacs shipped with Yosemite by default??

Nope - I just confirmed here, the in Yosemite included version is:
22.1.1

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Newbie question: cannot upgrade emacs to 24.5
@ 2015-05-04 15:54   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2015-05-04 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis wrote:

> but i have to ask: is 22.1.1 the version of Emacs shipped with
> Yosemite by default??
[...]
> It would be a bit concerning if Apple is still shipping a version of
> Emacs that is more based on Carbon than Cocoa (and indeed, predates by
> a month the release of the first iPhone!) ....

22.1 was the last version of Emacs released under GPLv2.
It's not just Emacs that will presumably never update in OS X, eg:

http://robservatory.com/behind-os-xs-modern-face-lies-an-aging-collection-of-unix-tools/