Stefan Monnier writes: > Package: Emacs > Version: 25.0.50 > - Move code common to all CC-mode major modes to a c-mode-common-mode function. > - Add new c-derivative-mode as a parent of C, C++, and ObjC, for > settings which apply to C-derived languages but not for others. > This has become necessary given that CC-mode is used nowadays as an > engine for modes which have little to do with C. > ... > - Remove c-make-inherited-keymap, since it's not used any more. It is not clear to me how to adapt a 3rd party derived mode to this. Granted, it was never clear to me how to make a mode derived from CC mode, but that's another thread. For mode derivation, either I have (define-derived-mode foo++-mode c++-mode "Foo++" ...) In which case there will be a parent c++-mode-map and a C++ menu present when there shouldn't be, or: (define-derived-mode foo++-mode c-derivative-mode "Foo++" ...) and fontification is broken. I've attached an example: