all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-01 10:13 Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희) @ 2016-08-01 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

Actually i'm new emacs, elisp.

Sometime i edit several unicode file with Emacs. This works have
translations things -- Korean UTF-8 characters.

Well i'm affraid to lost my works. Because my ubuntu's X is freeze
sometimes. So i start to search save current buffer by auto per 5
miniutes. However i failed. Could you please give me some hints?

Thanks for advance!

--
^고맙습니다 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-01 14:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-08-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)" <soyeomul@doraji.xyz>
> Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 19:13:10 +0900
>
> Well i'm affraid to lost my works. Because my ubuntu's X is freeze
> sometimes. So i start to search save current buffer by auto per 5
> miniutes. However i failed. Could you please give me some hints?

Set the variable auto-save-timeout to the value you want, in seconds.

However, the default value is 30 sec, which is less than your 5
minutes.  So the default should be good for you.  You may wish to make
the value of auto-save-interval smaller -- it is the number of
keystrokes after which Emacs will auto-save.  The default is 300.

Read about auto saving in the Emacs manual.

* Re: Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-01 14:20 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2016-08-01 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희)"" <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Actually i'm new emacs, elisp.
>
> Sometime i edit several unicode file with Emacs. This works have
> translations things -- Korean UTF-8 characters.
>
> Well i'm affraid to lost my works. Because my ubuntu's X is freeze
> sometimes. So i start to search save current buffer by auto per 5
> miniutes. However i failed. Could you please give me some hints?

M-x customize-group RET auto-save RET

* Re: Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-01 14:23 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2016-08-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희)"" <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:

> Sometime i edit several unicode file with Emacs. This works have
> translations things -- Korean UTF-8 characters.
>
> Well i'm affraid to lost my works. Because my ubuntu's X is freeze
> sometimes. So i start to search save current buffer by auto per 5
> miniutes. However i failed. Could you please give me some hints?

Emacs saves your work from time to time and, if Emacs crashed, it will
offer to recover your work next time you visit the file you were working
on.

The feature is explained here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Auto-Save.html

* Re: Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-01 15:24   ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희) @ 2016-08-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <874m7436w6.fsf@wanadoo.es> 에서》:

> "Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희)"" <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> writes:
>
>> Sometime i edit several unicode file with Emacs. This works have
>> translations things -- Korean UTF-8 characters.
>>
>> Well i'm affraid to lost my works. Because my ubuntu's X is freeze
>> sometimes. So i start to search save current buffer by auto per 5
>> miniutes. However i failed. Could you please give me some hints?
>
> Emacs saves your work from time to time and, if Emacs crashed, it will
> offer to recover your work next time you visit the file you were working
> on.
>
> The feature is explained here:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Auto-Save.html

Hi Óscar,

Now i got it. Right now, i have to go setting time^^
Thank you very much, with Pascal and Eli!

Sincerely,

--

@ 2016-08-02  0:04     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-08-02  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희)" wrote:

> Now i got it. Right now, i have to go setting
> time^^ Thank you very much, with Pascal

It is all good but...

While using Ubuntu and X is bad :) it is not
*that bad* to be an excuse for your computer
to crash!

Instead of having Emacs be a safety net, you
should examine why your computer crashes.

When your computer doesn't crash anymore,
I think you'll find that the Emacs default
safety nets are sufficient!

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: Save current buffer per 5 miniutes
@ 2016-08-02  9:17       ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희) @ 2016-08-02  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2016년 8월 2일 오전 9시 4분 3초 GMT+09:00, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
>Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희)" wrote:
>
>> Now i got it. Right now, i have to go setting
>> time^^ Thank you very much, with Pascal
>
>It is all good but...
>
>While using Ubuntu and X is bad :) it is not
>*that bad* to be an excuse for your computer
>to crash!
>
>Instead of having Emacs be a safety net, you
>should examine why your computer crashes.
>
>When your computer doesn't crash anymore,
>I think you'll find that the Emacs default
>safety nets are sufficient!

Your point is excellent! A hours ago i did downgrade emacs version to 23 from the latest snapshot. (My ubuntu version is 12.04.5 LTS. Chromebook is Alex released 2011.) Then ubuntu' X(unity) works well without freezing.

For a while i'll keep emacs 23.x for translation (debian web pages) work. Thank you Emanuel^^

Sincerely,

Ps. Now time i am moving by subway so wrote android smartphone.
--
^고맙습니다 감사합니다_^))//