all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Arithmetic error
@ 2016-11-05  9:21 Brunner, Dominik
From: Brunner, Dominik @ 2016-11-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Dear all

When starting Emacs, I get an "Arithmetic error" and nothing happens. Interestingly, I see the same happening now on three completely independent linux systems and therefore suspect it is a problem of Emacs version 4.23.

Any ideas how to solve this issue? Shall I tell the system administrators to revert back to an older version?
I already deleted my .emacs file, but that didn't help.

Cheers
Dominik

* Re: Arithmetic error
@ 2016-11-05 17:45 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-11-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Brunner, Dominik; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Brunner, Dominik (2016-11-05 09:21 +0000) wrote:

> Dear all
>
> When starting Emacs, I get an "Arithmetic error" and nothing
> happens. Interestingly, I see the same happening now on three completely
> independent linux systems and therefore suspect it is a problem of Emacs
> version 4.23.

I've never heard about this version.  It should be something like "24.5"
or "25.1", but not "4.23".

> Any ideas how to solve this issue? Shall I tell the system administrators to revert back to an older version?
> I already deleted my .emacs file, but that didn't help.

Did you try to run "emacs -Q"?

--
Alex