all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robert Cochran <robert-emacs@cochranmail.com>
To: Michael Mauger <mmauger@protonmail.com>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
	Robert Cochran <robert-emacs@cochranmail.com>,
	"emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: sql.el MariaDB support
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 18:10:00 -0700	[thread overview]

Michael Mauger <mmauger@protonmail.com> writes:

> I had to move the mariadb defvaraliases before the mysql defvar because that is the order expected.

Oops. I mean, I had a 50/50 of getting it right on the first try, so I
suppose I didn't do too badly.

> This is obviously the potential gotcha here, but if you are flipping between the two,
> you have enough other problems that I don't think Emacs will be you biggest. :)

Good. I was thinking the exact same thing, but I was playing it safe by
asking the question and confirming whether or not that was considered
reasonable behavior.

> That's a hold-over from the original and I'm not sure it has any impact today. Let
> me know if you have any problems...

Alright. It doesn't particularly bother /me/ to not have that
aligned. I'm simply happy not to have to fiddle with the prompt regexps
every time I want to use the SQL REPL. :)

> Keeping it loose is okay, anchoring it to the start of the line thru the "> " text is
> really all that's needed.

Awesome, because I honestly wasn't really in the mood for trying to
concoct a complicated regexp to match all the possibilities. ;)

> I had to rearrange the declarations a bit and correct a couple of spelling/cut-n-paste
> issues, but it looks fine. I went ahead and committed the code and gave you credit.

Thanks! Please forgive my n00b question: where exactly did it go? I
don't see it in the Emacs git, neither master nor emacs-26. Perhaps I'm
not searching for it correctly?

> I took care of this. Basically the font-lock variables have long lists of keywords,
> functions, and data types that are converted at build time to a massive regexp.
> I updated the lists from the MySQL and MariaDB documentation. Let me know if
> you find any of the highlighting to be distracting or seeming incorrect. Without a
> serious increase in complexity of the matching, there will always be some odd cases.

Thanks. Perhaps I could have phrased it better - I'm a casual user WRT
SQL in general. I understood once I saw the list of keywords what was
eventually going to happen to the list of words. I'm not entirely sure
why I didn't grok 'add the new keywords to the list' - I somehow got a
mental image of a much more drastic undertaking. I could have done that
if I had been able to read properly! :)
Sorry!

> Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your contribution.

Thank you for taking it.

> Happy Hacking!

And to you as well.

--
~Robert Cochran

GPG Fingerprint - BD0C 5F8B 381C 64F0 F3CE  E7B9 EC9A 872C 41B2 77C2