all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 15:43 John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-06-25 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 15:49 ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-06-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sorry for the premature post.

The candidates in the auto-complete popup aren't aligned properly. This
seems to be a result of the change in the behavior of
`vertical-motion'. auto-complete tries to move vertically by getting the
column using `(car (posn-col-row (posn-at-point)))' then use the col
number as follows `(vertical-motion '(COL 1))'. This works as expected
on `4a7e74fea687011ee81dcbb02294bccd99b3a05f` but its behavior has
changed on master. Current master doesn't take into account
display-line-number width. Was that an intentional change ? If so, what
is the recommended way to get the previous behavior ?

While debugging this issue I also noticed that auto-complete popup-el
use overlay 'prefix property which isn't documented. How did that use to
work ? I could fix the prefix by using `line-prefix' instead of
`prefix'.

cheers,

-js

* Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 16:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-25 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:49:06 +0000
>
> The candidates in the auto-complete popup aren't aligned properly. This
> seems to be a result of the change in the behavior of
> `vertical-motion'. auto-complete tries to move vertically by getting the
> column using `(car (posn-col-row (posn-at-point)))' then use the col
> number as follows `(vertical-motion '(COL 1))'. This works as expected
> on `4a7e74fea687011ee81dcbb02294bccd99b3a05f` but its behavior has
> changed on master. Current master doesn't take into account
> display-line-number width. Was that an intentional change ? If so, what
> is the recommended way to get the previous behavior ?

Thanks.  This is not the right place for reporting bugs, certainly not
about the development codebase.  Please submit a bug report using
report-emacs-bug, and please include there a recipe to reproduce the
problem starting from "emacs -Q".

(I think what you describe is not a bug, but it's hard to tell without
all the details.  Also, the commit you mention is quite old.)

> While debugging this issue I also noticed that auto-complete popup-el
> use overlay 'prefix property which isn't documented.

Can you point at places in auto-complete which are using that
property?

* Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 16:55     ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-06-25 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

removed help-gnu-emacs and add emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 15:49:06 +0000
>>
>> The candidates in the auto-complete popup aren't aligned properly. This
>> seems to be a result of the change in the behavior of
>> `vertical-motion'. auto-complete tries to move vertically by getting the
>> column using `(car (posn-col-row (posn-at-point)))' then use the col
>> number as follows `(vertical-motion '(COL 1))'. This works as expected
>> on `4a7e74fea687011ee81dcbb02294bccd99b3a05f` but its behavior has
>> changed on master. Current master doesn't take into account
>> display-line-number width. Was that an intentional change ? If so, what
>> is the recommended way to get the previous behavior ?
>
> Thanks.  This is not the right place for reporting bugs, certainly not
> about the development codebase.  Please submit a bug report using
> report-emacs-bug, and please include there a recipe to reproduce the
> problem starting from "emacs -Q".

I meant to send this email to emacs-devel instead of
help-gnu-emacs. Sorry about that. I will open a bug ASAP.

> (I think what you describe is not a bug, but it's hard to tell without
> all the details.  Also, the commit you mention is quite old.)

I wasn't sure if this is considered a bug or a feature, but we can
discuss that on the bug report.

>> While debugging this issue I also noticed that auto-complete popup-el
>> use overlay 'prefix property which isn't documented.
>
> Can you point at places in auto-complete which are using that
> property?

It is being set in the following places
https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L610 &
https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L366.

* Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 17:05       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Shahid; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
> Cc: Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:55:14 +0000
>

> >> While debugging this issue I also noticed that auto-complete popup-el
> >> use overlay 'prefix property which isn't documented.
> >
> > Can you point at places in auto-complete which are using that
> > property?
>
> It is being set in the following places
> https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L610 &
> https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L366.

That seems just a private property used by the package: it is used in
popup-set-line-item.  Right?

* Re: auto-complete popup is broken on master
@ 2018-06-25 17:18         ` John Shahid
From: John Shahid @ 2018-06-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: John Shahid <jvshahid@gmail.com>
>> Cc: Emacs-Devel devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:55:14 +0000

>> > Can you point at places in auto-complete which are using that
>> > property?
>>
>> It is being set in the following places
>> https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L610 &
>> https://github.com/auto-complete/popup-el/blob/master/popup.el#L366.
>
> That seems just a private property used by the package: it is used in
> popup-set-line-item.  Right?

You are absolutely right. That was an oversight on my end.

The issue with auto-complete popup seems to be caused by the change in
behavior of `vertical-motion' and having `display-line-number' mode
on. The prefix property has nothing to do with the issue I described.

FYI, I created bug#31966.

cheers,

-js