David Edmondson writes: > On Wednesday, 2018-10-17 at 23:27:45 +01, Basil L. Contovounesios wrote: > >> Couldn't we reuse url-truncate-url-for-viewing, which tries to be smart >> about where it places the ellipsis, for this? I think the existing code >> can also be cleaned up a little: > > I didn't know about url-truncate-url-for-viewing, no other reason. > > I'd be happy with your change, but note that it will always truncate > URLs that are wider than the current frame - there is no way to have no > truncation take place. > > If a user is most familiar with something like ffap to open URLs then > this is unfortunate - ffap doesn't see the full URL in the buffer. Sorry, that was an oversight. Here's how the last patch can be patched to support the default of no truncation: