all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-18  4:20 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-18  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

since quite recently, I would have used only the Rmail message
buffer. Then I discovered C-M-h aka `rmail-summary' which is quite
convenient.  There is something quite annoying though, I do not know
how to switch from rmail-summary's buffer and rmail buffer.

I have read the manual and info pages but I am pretty sure there is no
pretty simple way to do so. WHy I would like to have this ? Simply,
sometimes, I have to activate a link from the rmail message buffer or,
I need to copy something from it, etc.

If nothing exists, I would report it as a bug so we can have it but,
before that, is there something I could try ?

Thank you

      - xma

GPG:  BA4909B7 8F04DE1B

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-18 15:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 06:20:00 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Jabber-ID: xavier@maillard.im
>
> since quite recently, I would have used only the Rmail message
> buffer. Then I discovered C-M-h aka `rmail-summary' which is quite
> convenient.  There is something quite annoying though, I do not know
> how to switch from rmail-summary's buffer and rmail buffer.
>
> I have read the manual and info pages but I am pretty sure there is no
> pretty simple way to do so.

I don't understand the question.  Both Rmail buffer and Rmail Summary
buffer are just buffers, so you switch between then just like between
any other two buffers.  What am I missing?

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-18 21:11   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:47:14 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 06:20:00 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > Jabber-ID: xavier@maillard.im
> >
> > since quite recently, I would have used only the Rmail message
> > buffer. Then I discovered C-M-h aka `rmail-summary' which is quite
> > convenient.  There is something quite annoying though, I do not know
> > how to switch from rmail-summary's buffer and rmail buffer.
> >
> > I have read the manual and info pages but I am pretty sure there is no
> > pretty simple way to do so.
>
> I don't understand the question.  Both Rmail buffer and Rmail Summary
> buffer are just buffers, so you switch between then just like between
> any other two buffers.  What am I missing?

Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).

So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.

Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
than one window, this is getting quite useless.

@ 2019-06-18 22:26     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2019-06-18 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Xavier Maillard

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:47:14 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>>
>> > Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 06:20:00 +0200
>> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
>> > Jabber-ID: xavier@maillard.im
>> >
>> > since quite recently, I would have used only the Rmail message
>> > buffer. Then I discovered C-M-h aka `rmail-summary' which is quite
>> > convenient.  There is something quite annoying though, I do not know
>> > how to switch from rmail-summary's buffer and rmail buffer.
>> >
>> > I have read the manual and info pages but I am pretty sure there is no
>> > pretty simple way to do so.
>>
>> I don't understand the question.  Both Rmail buffer and Rmail Summary
>> buffer are just buffers, so you switch between then just like between
>> any other two buffers.  What am I missing?
>
> Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
>
> So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
> buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
>
> Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
> than one window, this is getting quite useless.

I haven’t ever used rmail, but Gnus has a pair of functions
gnus-summary-select-article-buffer and gnus-article-show-summary, bound
to h in gnus-summary-mode-map and gnus-article-mode-map respectively,
which allow conveniently switching between the summary buffer and the
message buffer.

I think Xavier is looking for a similar pair of functions for rmail, as
opposed to having to use the general other-window bound to C-x o.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-19 12:55       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-19 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Amin Bandali <bandali@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:26:16 -0400
>
> Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
>
> >> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:47:14 +0300
> >> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>

> >> I don't understand the question.  Both Rmail buffer and Rmail Summary
> >> buffer are just buffers, so you switch between then just like between
> >> any other two buffers.  What am I missing?
> >
> > Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
> >
> > So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
> > buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
> >
> > Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
> > than one window, this is getting quite useless.
> >

> I haven’t ever used rmail, but Gnus has a pair of functions
> gnus-summary-select-article-buffer and gnus-article-show-summary, bound
> to h in gnus-summary-mode-map and gnus-article-mode-map respectively,
> which allow conveniently switching between the summary buffer and the
> message buffer.
>
> I think Xavier is looking for a similar pair of functions for rmail, as
> opposed to having to use the general other-window bound to C-x o.

Exactly this, yeah. Here `h' activates the rmail-summary function
(removing any applied filters if any in action) which is kind of
disturbing.

@ 2019-06-19 13:17     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2019-06-19 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
> Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
>
> So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
> buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
>
> Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
> than one window, this is getting quite useless.

When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.  I also bind a
shorter keybinding to other-window.

I know that this is not really a solution, but it may help.

BTW, you have get the summary buffer with just 'h' by itself you don't
need 'C-M-h'.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-19 15:30       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-19 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:17:08 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
> open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.  I also bind a
> shorter keybinding to other-window.

Exactly my case: two windows, the summary at the top, the Rmail buffer
at the bottom, and a single key to switch.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-21  4:20       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-21  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:17:08 +0100
>
> Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
> > Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
> >
> > So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
> > buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
> >
> > Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
> > than one window, this is getting quite useless.
>
> When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
> open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.

That's not the case here. Worse, when I send an email (C-c C-c), I am not returning back to my rmail window, it just randomly goes back the scratch buffer.

> I also bind a shorter keybinding to other-window.

What do you use instead of C-o ?

> I know that this is not really a solution, but it may help.

There is something wrong here, so, yeah, that helps.

> BTW, you have get the summary buffer with just 'h' by itself you don't
> need 'C-M-h'.

Yeah, I know. I am just used to using C-M-h :)

@ 2019-06-21  4:24         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-21  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 18:30:29 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
> > Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:17:08 +0100
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
> > open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.  I also bind a
> > shorter keybinding to other-window.
>
> Exactly my case: two windows, the summary at the top, the Rmail buffer
> at the bottom, and a single key to switch.

So there is something odd here. I will track it and fix it.

First thing first, getting rid of the BBDB popup I installed (I thought it would be useful but it is not).

Thank you for reporting back.

@ 2019-06-21  4:31         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-06-21  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Robert Thorpe

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

>> From: Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
>> Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:17:08 +0100
>>
>> Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:
>> > Maybe I am not clear (english is not my native tongue, sorry).
>> >
>> > So, I need a quick, direct and easy way to switch from a message
>> > buffer to the rmail-summary buffer and vice-versa.
>> >
>> > Currently, I am doing a lot of `C-x o' but as soon as there is more
>> > than one window, this is getting quite useless.
>>
>> When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
>> open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.
>
> That's not the case here. Worse, when I send an email (C-c C-c), I am
> not returning back to my rmail window, it just randomly goes back the
> scratch buffer.
>
>> I also bind a shorter keybinding to other-window.
>
> What do you use instead of C-o ?

FWIW, I bind "M-o" to other-window globally, and think it's the most
useful re-binding I've ever done. I've never missed the font thing that
was originally bound there, I don't really know what it did.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-21  6:00         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-21  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 06:20:04 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
> > open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.
>
> That's not the case here. Worse, when I send an email (C-c C-c), I am not returning back to my rmail window, it just randomly goes back the scratch buffer.

Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-21  6:04           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-21  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:31:53 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
>
> > What do you use instead of C-o ?
>
> FWIW, I bind "M-o" to other-window globally

I use M-HOME and M-END, with this piece of code:

  (defun my-previous-window (arg)
    "Switch to previous window."
    (interactive "p")
    (other-window (- arg)))
  (global-set-key [M-home] 'my-previous-window)
  (global-set-key [M-end] 'other-window)

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-21 12:33           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-21 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 09:00:49 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.

Btw, a nice side effect of this arrangement is that the next 'm' or
'r' will reuse the frame showing the *mail* buffer, so just let that
frame hang around, to be used for composing and sending email
throughout the entire session, with no need to switch to any buffer in
your other frames.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-21 15:26             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-06-21 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:31:53 -0700
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
>>
>> > What do you use instead of C-o ?
>>
>> FWIW, I bind "M-o" to other-window globally
>
> I use M-HOME and M-END, with this piece of code:
>
>   (defun my-previous-window (arg)
>     "Switch to previous window."
>     (interactive "p")
>     (other-window (- arg)))
>   (global-set-key [M-home] 'my-previous-window)
>   (global-set-key [M-end] 'other-window)

That's good -- I often want to cycle back the other way. [home] and
[end] are in very awkward places on my keyboard, though, maybe M-O...

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-22  7:53             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-22  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 09:04:10 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> > Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 21:31:53 -0700
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com>
> >
> > > What do you use instead of C-o ?
> >
> > FWIW, I bind "M-o" to other-window globally

I am not keen on changing M-o but the idea behind this is cool.

> I use M-HOME and M-END, with this piece of code:

Awesome ! [home] and [end] are not easy to reach on my keyboard.

I am using your code with M-up and M-down. This drastically change
things.

++

@ 2019-06-22  8:02           ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-22  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 09:00:49 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 06:20:04 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > When I use Rmail I only have the rmail buffer and the summary buffer
> > > open.  I don't have any more windows in that frame.
> >
> > That's not the case here. Worse, when I send an email (C-c C-c), I am not returning back to my rmail window, it just randomly goes back the scratch buffer.
>
> Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.

Do you mean to C-x 5 2 from the *mail* buffer ?

@ 2019-06-22  8:04             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-22  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 15:33:15 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 09:00:49 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> >
> > Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> > for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> > will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.
>
> Btw, a nice side effect of this arrangement is that the next 'm' or
> 'r' will reuse the frame showing the *mail* buffer, so just let that
> frame hang around, to be used for composing and sending email
> throughout the entire session, with no need to switch to any buffer in
> your other frames.

I will test this but here it does not seem to select the right frame.
Maybe I misunderstood something.

Thank you for your help, both.

@ 2019-06-22  8:07             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-22  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:02:21 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> > for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> > will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.
>
> Do you mean to C-x 5 2 from the *mail* buffer ?

I mean "C-x 5 b *mail* RET" (which should be done only once per Emacs
session), and then use "C-c C-s" to send mail you composed.

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-22  8:18               ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-06-22  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:04:16 +0200
> From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> > > for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> > > will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.
> >
> > Btw, a nice side effect of this arrangement is that the next 'm' or
> > 'r' will reuse the frame showing the *mail* buffer, so just let that
> > frame hang around, to be used for composing and sending email
> > throughout the entire session, with no need to switch to any buffer in
> > your other frames.
>
> I will test this but here it does not seem to select the right frame.

I think you also need to set rmail-mail-new-frame to a non-nil value.
With that, the first time you reply to an email from Rmail, it will
create a new frame for the outgoing email, if one doesn't already
exist.

You will also need to set message-generate-new-buffers to the value
'standard', so that the name of the buffer where you compose email is
fixed (and thus it could be reused for subsequent email messages).
Alternatively, do this:

  (setq mail-user-agent 'sendmail-user-agent)

which will ensure the outgoing email buffer is always named "*mail*".

Sorry, forgot to tell about all that (this is setup I've done many
years ago).

* Re: Rmail: toggle between summary and message buffers
@ 2019-06-24  4:17               ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-24  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 11:07:50 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:02:21 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > Don't use "C-c C-c".  Use "C-c C-s" instead, and have a separate frame
> > > for the *mail* buffer where you compose and send email.  Then Emacs
> > > will not mess up your windows in the Rmail frame.
> >
> > Do you mean to C-x 5 2 from the *mail* buffer ?
>
> I mean "C-x 5 b *mail* RET" (which should be done only once per Emacs
> session), and then use "C-c C-s" to send mail you composed.

Did it here and it effectively create a new frame but when I press 'r'
or 'm' right from the rmail-message buffer, it just splits my current
frame into two windows and it shows me the *mail* buffer right
here. It also displays the *mail* buffer into the separated (and
dedicated frame) though.

I did try it with emacs -q just to be sure I did not something wrong,
same behaviour.

Do you get this too ?

Thanks anyway, going C-c C-s is a neat tip (I must adapt to it now but
it is okay).

@ 2019-06-24  4:20                 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-24  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 11:18:26 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:04:16 +0200
> > From: Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > Btw, a nice side effect of this arrangement is that the next 'm' or
> > > 'r' will reuse the frame showing the *mail* buffer, so just let that
> > > frame hang around, to be used for composing and sending email
> > > throughout the entire session, with no need to switch to any buffer in
> > > your other frames.
> >
> > I will test this but here it does not seem to select the right frame.
>
> I think you also need to set rmail-mail-new-frame to a non-nil value.
> With that, the first time you reply to an email from Rmail, it will
> create a new frame for the outgoing email, if one doesn't already
> exist.

Perfect. You can forget my previous message. This does exactly what
you described.

Thank you very much. I no longer need to C-o in every sides ;)

@ 2019-06-24  4:28                 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-24  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs