all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-10 13:49 Eason Huang
From: Eason Huang @ 2022-01-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 53160

With latest version of Emacs 29.0.50, @Po Lu implement a nice feature to
support showing pre-edited text of Fcitx5(A Chinese input method).

But when I enable this new feature, Fcitx5 will freeze Emacs sometimes.
Fcitx5 works well on gedit.

Can anyone help to fixed this issue?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-01-10 built on lilydjwg
Repository revision: d5cf772cad1773f5e40f85c51199632721050f65
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-sound=no --with-xwidgets
 --without-gpm '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx5
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46456 9465)
 (symbols 48 5691 1)
 (strings 32 15696 1943)
 (string-bytes 1 505668)
 (vectors 16 11774)
 (vector-slots 8 163372 16707)
 (floats 8 21 52)
 (intervals 56 400 4)
 (buffers 992 11))

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-11  0:43 ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
       [not found]   ` <tencent_39DECD21B9D497C0126B24B48D2970B83507@qq.com>
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-11  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160

Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:

> With latest version of Emacs 29.0.50, @Po Lu implement a nice feature to
> support showing pre-edited text of Fcitx5(A Chinese input method).
>
> But when I enable this new feature, Fcitx5 will freeze Emacs sometimes.
> Fcitx5 works well on gedit.
>
> Can anyone help to fixed this issue?

Thanks.  Some important questions:

  - Does this still happen under emacs -Q?  (You can set manually
    `x-gtk-use-native-input' to t there for testing.)

  - Could this perhaps be related to GC?

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
       [not found]     ` <1828565066.1363813.1641906858965@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-01-11 13:56       ` Eason Huang
From: Eason Huang @ 2022-01-11 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 53160

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> I forget how to make Emacs show messages when GC happened, so I
>> can't test it now. Do you have any suggestions for testing GC?
>
> [Sorry for the webmail, but Yahoo's SMTP is wedged; I hope Reply All
> worked and this reaches the bug tracker]
 Thanks for reminding.

> You can (setq garbage-collection-messages t) -- it will display a
> message in the echo area upon garbage collection.

I test it again with (setq garbage-collection-messages t), but I didn't
see any messages about GC when the issues occured.

-----
From Eason Huang

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-12  0:51         ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-12  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160

Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:

> I test it again with (setq garbage-collection-messages t), but I didn't
> see any messages about GC when the issues occured.

Odd... do the issues still happen under emacs -Q?

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-12  3:30           ` Eason Huang
From: Eason Huang @ 2022-01-12  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 53160

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Odd... do the issues still happen under emacs -Q?

Yes, the issues still happen under emacs -Q.

from Eason Huang

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-13  2:13             ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-13  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160

Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Odd... do the issues still happen under emacs -Q?
>
> Yes, the issues still happen under emacs -Q.

Please see if the problem has been resolved on master.  Thanks.

* GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-15  7:07 Anand Tamariya
From: Anand Tamariya @ 2022-01-15  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Now you can use GNU Emacs as a full featured and easily configurable
browser. Here's a short video demonstrating the features.

*Video:* https://youtu.be/y1k_lA2VUYg

*Features:*
- Adblock
- Disabled tracking API (navigator.sendBeacon())
- Inline videos à la Youtube
- Hit-a-Hint
- Keyboard based navigation: left/right character for left/right scroll,
prev/next line, prev/next page, beginning/end of buffer for top/end of
page, +/-/z for zoom in/out/reset
- Multi-input modes: single key interactive mode, line input mode via
minibuffer and textarea input mode via new buffer
- Password auto-fill and management via authinfo
- Configurable Home page and search URL
- Bookmarks
- Download unsupported mime types
- User script à la Tampermonkey / Greasemonkey
- User styles
- Developer tools / Web Inspector

Finally you can have a browser as you want.

*Details:*
https://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2022/01/gnu-emacs-configurable-browser.html
*Code:*
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/src/xwidget.c

https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/xwidget.el
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el

https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-15  7:31 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-15  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Akira Kyle

Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com> writes:

> https://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2022/01/gnu-emacs-configurable-browser.html

I don't understand why you chose to describe the code in master as a
"competing implementation", if you want to work with us to have your
changes installed, which is what you proceed to say in your article.

I hope that you will improve your choice of words in the future, because
what you have said will result in many people misunderstanding the
nature of the code in master.

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/src/xwidget.c

It would be much easier for me to review your changes if you based them
off a recent (in contrast with 10 months old) copy of master, and
submitted them in the form of a patch.

Most of the features which you posted are already available in
xwidget-webkit or other areas of Emacs, so I'm confused as to exactly
what changes you have made.  Judging by the code in your repository, you
also have remanants of many irrelevant features, such as support for
xembed.

Could you please explain exactly which changes you have made, remove
irrelevant features from your changes, rebase them onto master, and then
send them as a patch?

Thanks in advance.

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el

This file is written by Akira Kyle, not by you, who has been active
around here lately.  Akira, have you signed the papers necessary for it
to be included in Emacs?

> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css

To the best of my knowledge, these two files are also written by Akira.

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  2:42   ` Akira Kyle
From: Akira Kyle @ 2022-01-16  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Anand Tamariya

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 03:31 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/lisp/webkit/webkit-ace.el
>
> This file is written by Akira Kyle, not by you, who has been
> active
> around here lately.  Akira, have you signed the papers necessary
> for it
> to be included in Emacs?

I am still working on getting my assignment papers signed. I hope
to find some time to make some of these features of emacs-webkit
into a standalone package which will work with
xwidget-webkit. This package could then live on ELPA. I'm not sure
if these features are appropriate for being included in emacs core
as they represent a somewhat opinionated way of doing keyboard
driven web browsing. I suppose if there were a strong desire to
include them in emacs core than I would not object.

>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.js
>> https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/-/blob/dev/etc/webkit/hints.css
>
> To the best of my knowledge, these two files are also written by
> Akira.

Yes I also wrote these since the webkit-ace.el link hinting
feature requires interaction with js to function.

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  3:01     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-16  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Kyle; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Anand Tamariya

Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> writes:

> I am still working on getting my assignment papers signed. I hope to
> find some time to make some of these features of emacs-webkit into a
> standalone package which will work with xwidget-webkit. This package
> could then live on ELPA. I'm not sure if these features are
> appropriate for being included in emacs core as they represent a
> somewhat opinionated way of doing keyboard driven web browsing. I
> suppose if there were a strong desire to include them in emacs core
> than I would not object.

Thanks, I wish you the best of luck in getting your paperwork done.  As
for whether or not to include these features in Emacs (as opposed to
placing them in ELPA), I have no opinion.  Eli or Lars might want to
chime in.

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-16  4:11       ` Eason Huang
From: Eason Huang @ 2022-01-16  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 53160

>> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Odd... do the issues still happen under emacs -Q?
>>
>> Yes, the issues still happen under emacs -Q.

> Please see if the problem has been resolved on master.  Thanks.

 sorry for the delay respond.

 I tested again with latest emacs-git on Arch linux. but the issue still
 exist.

 The repostitory revision is: 791694c5fe86b8c9ab5cb593bd5e050aa185aa3a

----
From Eason Huang

* Re: GNU Emacs: A configurable browser
@ 2022-01-16  5:11 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-01-16  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anand Tamariya; +Cc: emacs-devel

Does this browser run Javascript code from web sites?
I am afraid it does.

It is a problematical thing that Emacs runs Javascript code from web sites
under any circumstances, but the magnitude of that problem has
bee limited because it wasn't all that convenient as a general browser.
I'm afraid that a menace has now turned into a total failure.

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-16  5:32         ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-16  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160

Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:

>  sorry for the delay respond.
>
>  I tested again with latest emacs-git on Arch linux. but the issue still
>  exist.
>
>  The repostitory revision is: 791694c5fe86b8c9ab5cb593bd5e050aa185aa3a

Thanks for testing.  Precisely how often does the problem occur?  I
tried typing continuously for 2 minutes, but didn't see anything after
the fix.

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-16 16:52           ` Eason Huang
From: Eason Huang @ 2022-01-16 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 53160

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:
>
>>  sorry for the delay respond.
>>
>>  I tested again with latest emacs-git on Arch linux. but the issue still
>>  exist.
>>
>>  The repostitory revision is: 791694c5fe86b8c9ab5cb593bd5e050aa185aa3a
>
> Precisely how often does the problem occur?

About 5 words will trigger the issue.

> tried typing continuously for 2 minutes, but didn't see anything after
> the fix.

May be it is caused by my Fcitx5 configuration. I will try to dig more
infomations.

----
From Eason Huang

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-17  0:31         ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-17  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160

Eason Huang <aqua0210@foxmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes, the issues still happen under emacs -Q.
>
>> Please see if the problem has been resolved on master.  Thanks.
>
>  sorry for the delay respond.
>
>  I tested again with latest emacs-git on Arch linux. but the issue still
>  exist.

Could you please try master now, and see if the problem persists?

* bug#53160: 29.0.50; fcitx5 will freeze Emacs with pre-edited text enabled
@ 2022-01-22  4:34 ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-01-22  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eason Huang; +Cc: 53160-done

Eason said that the problem was resolved by changing the font used by
the fcitx pre-edit popup, so I'm closing this report, since it's a
problem with fcitx and not Emacs.