all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-17 12:31 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

I want to suggest that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE support things like "first Monday of the month" like cron.

Thanks

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-18 10:41 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-18 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moakt Temporary Email; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Moakt Temporary Email <097073ee6adb@drmail.in> writes:

> I want to suggest that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE support things like "first Monday of the month" like cron.

That would indeed be nice. But may you provide more details on how you
envision such support to be implemented?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-18 12:05 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-18 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I want to suggest that SCHEDULED and DEADLINE support things like "first
>> Monday of the month" like cron.

>That would indeed be nice. But may you provide more details on how you
>envision such support to be implemented?

I'm not sure. I am a lowly user :)

"++1m@Mon#1"? Maybe employ cron syntax for month and week for what's after "@"? Another example: "++1m@17" (= add 1 month then the next 17th of the month)

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-19  8:52 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Moakt Temporary Email; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Moakt Temporary Email <097073ee6adb@drmail.in> writes:

>>That would indeed be nice. But may you provide more details on how you
>>envision such support to be implemented?

> "++1m@Mon#1"? Maybe employ cron syntax for month and week for what's after "@"? Another example: "++1m@17" (= add 1 month then the next 17th of the month)

Note that we also have diary style timestamps with arbitrary logic of
date selection.

The question is whether a more specialized repeater specification is
needed. And if it is needed, what should be the available features.

So far, you listed:
1. Specific day of week, nth from the beginning of month
2. "add 1 month then the next 17th of the month" - I do not
   understand. How is it different from <2024-08-17 ++1m>?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-19  9:35 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-19  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>Note that we also have diary style timestamps with arbitrary logic of
>date selection.
>
>The question is whether a more specialized repeater specification is
>needed. And if it is needed, what should be the available features.
>
>So far, you listed:
>1. Specific day of week, nth from the beginning of month
>2. "add 1 month then the next 17th of the month" - I do not
 >  understand. How is it different from <2024-08-17 ++1m>?

You are right, it is redundant. My brain was in cron syntax mode :)

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-19 17:40   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2024-08-19 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    IR> Note that we also have diary style timestamps with arbitrary
    IR> logic of date selection.

The primary problem with those timestamps is that they cannot be marked
as DONE and disappear from agendas for the given date.  I think that
nth-dayofweek-in-month is the only case when I have to use them and it
would be nice to have “native” timestamps for that.

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-19 21:53     ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2024-08-19 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal, emacs-orgmode

Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org> writes:

> The primary problem with those timestamps is that they cannot be marked
> as DONE and disappear from agendas for the given date.

+1 Also, the time of day must be in the heading.

For example,

  "There is an official Fennel user group that meets on the third
  Saturday of each month at 10:00 PST/18:00 UTC."

translates to

  *** Fennel User Group 19:00
  <%%(diary-float t 6 3)>

Rudy
--
"I do not fear death.  I had been dead for billions and billions of
years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest

Rudolf Adamkovič <rudolf@adamkovic.org> [he/him]
http://adamkovic.org

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-20  4:39       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-20  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Milan Zamazal, emacs-orgmode

Rudolf Adamkovič <rudolf@adamkovic.org> writes:

>> The primary problem with those timestamps is that they cannot be marked
>> as DONE and disappear from agendas for the given date.
>
> +1 Also, the time of day must be in the heading.

Not anymore. I added support for time in diary style timestamps a while
ago. You can do

<%%(diary-float t 6 3) 19:00>

See https://orgmode.org/Changes.html#orge783fbe

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-20 18:35     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-08-20 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>     IR> Note that we also have diary style timestamps with arbitrary
>     IR> logic of date selection.
>
> The primary problem with those timestamps is that they cannot be marked
> as DONE and disappear from agendas for the given date.

That might be changed, I think.

> ... I think that
> nth-dayofweek-in-month is the only case when I have to use them and it
> would be nice to have “native” timestamps for that.

Any alternative ideas about syntax? My main concern is when the weekday
name is not in English.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [orgmode] Better recurrence for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
@ 2024-08-21 11:59 Moakt Temporary Email
From: Moakt Temporary Email @ 2024-08-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>Any alternative ideas about syntax? My main concern is when the weekday
>name is not in English.

crontab also supports numerals:

0=Sunday
1=Monday
6=Friday
7=Sunday (in a sweet attention to detail and how brains work)

I suggest:
- numerals as the default language-agnostic implementation
- Three letter weekday names in English which covers the vast majority of users