all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TRAMP not saving files the first time?
@ 2024-09-02  6:04 Martin Kjær Jørgensen
From: Martin Kjær Jørgensen @ 2024-09-02  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm a happy Emacs 29.4 + TRAMP 2.7.1.2 user that usually edits text reliably
on my local system.

I have noticed weird behaviour when editing remotely using TRAMP+SSH. When
editing configuration text files on a remote server using TRAMP+SSH I
sometimes have to save the text file twice in order for the server to get the
changes. Saving the buffer once makes Emacs thinks its saved, but `cat' -ing
the file on the server afterwards shows nothing new is saved. If I then have
Emacs make a slight change, like adding a white space and delete it again, and
save again, the changes becomes visible on the server.

Have any of you seen similar behaviour, or maybe have ideas how to debug it?

/Martin

* Re: TRAMP not saving files the first time?
@ 2024-09-02  7:31 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-09-02  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kjær Jørgensen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Martin Kjær Jørgensen <me@lagy.org> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Martin,

> I have noticed weird behaviour when editing remotely using TRAMP+SSH. When
> editing configuration text files on a remote server using TRAMP+SSH I
> sometimes have to save the text file twice in order for the server to get the
> changes. Saving the buffer once makes Emacs thinks its saved, but `cat' -ing
> the file on the server afterwards shows nothing new is saved. If I then have
> Emacs make a slight change, like adding a white space and delete it again, and
> save again, the changes becomes visible on the server.
>
> Have any of you seen similar behaviour, or maybe have ideas how to debug it?

I haven't seen this. However, I recommend to set tramp-verbose to 6, and
rerun your test. Once you see the problem (Tramp doesn't save for the
first time), copy the Tramp debug buffer. Send it, with a precise
explanation what you have done.

If the buffer is too large, or if the buffer might contain sensible data
you like to hide, send the message directly to me.

> /Martin

Best regards, Michael.