all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Binding Non-standard Keyboard Keys
@ 2003-10-24 17:20 Dan Anderson
       [not found] ` <mailman.2517.1067256609.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just bought a new keyboard, and it's got all sorts of interesting
buttons on it.  When I try to C-h c any key that's not alpha numberic,
it doesn't work.

I.e. is there a way to link the "Internet" button to W3, the "Search"
button to find, or perhaps bind them and similar to macros/scripts of my
choice?

Thanks,

-Dan

* Re: Binding Non-standard Keyboard Keys
       [not found] <mailman.2391.1067016070.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-24 17:45 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2003-10-24 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson wrote:

> I just bought a new keyboard, and it's got all sorts of interesting
> buttons on it.  When I try to C-h c any key that's not alpha numberic,
> it doesn't work.
>
> I.e. is there a way to link the "Internet" button to W3, the "Search"
> button to find, or perhaps bind them and similar to macros/scripts of my
> choice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dan

I only have a standard keyboard so I don't know if this will help you or
not, but I noticed when using M-x global-set-key that if I hit a key like
Scroll Lock it put a notation in the prompt for the keybinding. I'd try
this. But there are other people that may have better suggestions.

For what it's worth.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

* Re: Binding Non-standard Keyboard Keys
@ 2003-10-24 19:39   ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-24 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried global-set-key and got some interesting results.  Keys which
don't show up under C-h c appear as other keys.  For instance, one is
C-z, another is <mouse-2>, etc.  But they don't seem to have the effect
of those keys.  I press them and KDE goes bonkers.

:: sighs ::

-Dan

@ 2003-10-27  9:22 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
       [not found] ` <mailman.2517.1067256609.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2003-10-27  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

DA> I.e. is there a way to link the "Internet" button to W3, the "Search"
DA> button to find, or perhaps bind them and similar to macros/scripts of my
DA> choice?

I think that the codes shot out by the keyboard are'nt understood by the
system.

Under Linux you can use lineakd that lets you bind a generic shell command
to one of these keys. If the command is

gnudoit \( your-elisp-fuction \)

you get something like binding the  key in Emacs (after all it's still
a keystroke-to-function binding).

 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________
  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/

@ 2003-10-31  0:02   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2003-10-31  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gian> I think that the codes shot out by the keyboard are'nt understood
Gian> by the system.

"the system" == X window

man xev(1x), xmodmap(1x)

--
"Rap music is our punishment for neglecting music education."
An anonymous teacher

@ 2003-12-03 22:15 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-03 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> I.e. is there a way to link the "Internet" button to W3, the "Search"
> button to find, or perhaps bind them and similar to macros/scripts of my
> choice?

First of all, it might be interesting to see what C-h l says after
hitting one of them.  Maybe they are function keys that you can just
bind.

Another possibility is that they don't have keysyms.  Then you can
assign one with

    xmodmap -e 'add keycode 4711 = F38'

Instead of F38, you can use other function keys.  You can use the xev
program to find out the keycodes.

Kai