all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fringe - how to use?
@ 2004-01-09 21:03 Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2004-01-09 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if there is an API for putting stuff into the fringe
via lisp?  I'm on 21.2.1 under Windows if that matters....

Thanks!

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: fringe - how to use?
@ 2004-01-09 21:20 ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2004-01-09 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, Joe Casadonte wrote:

> I was wondering if there is an API for putting stuff into the fringe
> via lisp?  I'm on 21.2.1 under Windows if that matters....

I guess I should explain a little about what I'm wanting to do.  I
would like to display a mark in the fringe on certain lines, much like
the current article marker in Gnus.  Only I'd like to have multiple
marks per buffer.

> Thanks!

And again: thanks!

--

@ 2004-01-09 22:00   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-09 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

> I would like to display a mark in the fringe on certain lines, much
> like the current article marker in Gnus.  Only I'd like to have
> multiple marks per buffer.

Does <info://elisp/Display+Margins> help?

* Re: fringe - how to use?
@ 2004-01-10  5:47     ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2004-01-10  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to display a mark in the fringe on certain lines, much
>> like the current article marker in Gnus.  Only I'd like to have
>> multiple marks per buffer.
>
> Does <info://elisp/Display+Margins> help?

Not really, but thanks for the tip.  I want to use the fringe, not
create a new margin area.  Basically, I want to do something like what
overlay-arrow-position does, but I want multiple ones.  Like having
the continuation arrows (in the fringe) when truncate-lines is true.

Basically, I want to know if I can, through lisp only, change what's
in the fringe.

Thanks again for trying!

--

@ 2004-01-10 13:22 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-01-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

> I was wondering if there is an API for putting stuff into the fringe
> via lisp?

Here is what edebug does. As far as I can see only one mark can be
there at a time, but this should give you somewhere to start looking
for more info from.

(defun arrow-in-fringe ()
  "Display an arrow on the current line."
  (interactive)
  (setq overlay-arrow-string "==>")
  (setq overlay-arrow-position (make-marker))
  (set-marker overlay-arrow-position
              (line-beginning-position) (current-buffer)))

* Re: fringe - how to use?
@ 2004-01-28  8:01 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

> I was wondering if there is an API for putting stuff into the fringe
> via lisp?  I'm on 21.2.1 under Windows if that matters....

AFAIK, there is only a limited number of things that can be put in the
fringe.  There has been talk about allowing any bitmap (pixmap?)
there, but this hasn't been implemented yet, AFAIR.

Kai