all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* split emacs window horizontally
@ 2004-11-10 10:23 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-11-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I would like to split the emacs window horizontally, which is no problem doing
it with 'split-window-horizontally' manually, but I would like to have it by
default when starting emacs. Furthermore it should always keep at least those
two window even when I start Gnus and other programs.

Is there an easy way to do it?

Best Greetings!
--
Fabian Braennstroem
Duesseldorf/Berlin

* Re: split emacs window horizontally
@ 2004-11-11  9:51 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-11-11  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to split the emacs window horizontally, which is no
> problem doing it with 'split-window-horizontally' manually, but I
> would like to have it by default when starting emacs. Furthermore it
> should always keep at least those two window even when I start Gnus
> and other programs.
>
> Is there an easy way to do it?

I don't know if it's possible to keep a second window open and
unmolested by other window managing functions.  If I wanted to keep
such a window, on X I would just open a new frame: M-x make-frame RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: split emacs window horizontally
@ 2004-11-12  9:27   ` Fabian Braennstroem
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2592.1100406219.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-11-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to split the emacs window horizontally, which is no
>> problem doing it with 'split-window-horizontally' manually, but I
>> would like to have it by default when starting emacs. Furthermore it
>> should always keep at least those two window even when I start Gnus
>> and other programs.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do it?
>
> I don't know if it's possible to keep a second window open and
> unmolested by other window managing functions.  If I wanted to keep
> such a window, on X I would just open a new frame: M-x make-frame RET

I know the 'make-frame'-command, but it would be nicer inside the frame.

Thanks anyways and Greetings!

--
Fabian Braennstroem
Duesseldorf/Berlin

* Re: split emacs window horizontally / ecb
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2592.1100406219.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-13 13:06       ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-11-13 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Slava <sawati@yandex.ru> writes:

> Did you try ECB which stands for "Emacs Code Browser"?
> May be it will suit your needs.
>
> Look at  ecb.sf.net

Thanks, I know ecb, but it doesn't seem that I can produce two 'edit'-window
permanently.
At least, ecb shows that it is possible to do a permanent splitting.
Maybe, anybody has an idea!?

Best Greetings!
--
Fabian Braennstroem
Duesseldorf/Berlin

* Re[2]: split emacs window horizontally
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2592.1100406219.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-11-14  4:14     ` Slava
From: Slava @ 2004-11-14  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did you try ECB which stands for "Emacs Code Browser"?
May be it will suit your needs.

Look at  ecb.sf.net

Best regards,
                           Slava                                   sawati AT yandex ru

From:   Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de>
To:   help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date:   Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:27:24 +0100
Subject:   Re: split emacs window horizontally

@ 2004-11-15 19:52         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-15 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks, I know ecb, but it doesn't seem that I can produce two 'edit'-window
> permanently.
> At least, ecb shows that it is possible to do a permanent splitting.
> Maybe, anybody has an idea!?

AFAIK, ECB goes through some seriuos trouble to do such window management.
So the answer is that, well yes, if you really want to, it can be done, but
it's difficult.
I'd be interested to hear what the ECB people do, what problems they've
encountered and how they handle them.