all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get an item into info menu?
@ 2005-01-02 15:27 bill
From: bill @ 2005-01-02 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the info files for "Introduction to Programming in Emacs
Lisp" but no matter where I put those files, the corresponding menu
item (* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).) never shows on the top menu
when I do C-h i in Emacs.  In every attempt I have placed the
file(s) in a directory mentioned in Info-default-directory-list.
I have tried both the single info file emacs-lisp-intro.info.gz
(from gnu.org) as well as the separate eintr*.gz files generated
by makeinfo and gzip from the contents of emacs-lisp-intro-texi.tar
(also from gnu.org).

Where's the documentation on how to do this?  I've looked everywhere.

Many thanks!

bill

P.S. In fact, searching in Info for the word "Info-default-directory-list"
yields nothing.  (It is ironic that the documentation system itself
is so poorly documented.  It's just like in the Spanish proverb
"In the blacksmith's house, wooden knife".)

* Re: How to get an item into info menu?
@ 2005-01-02 17:14 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-01-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

bill <please_post@nomail.edu> writes:

> I have the info files for "Introduction to Programming in Emacs
> Lisp" but no matter where I put those files, the corresponding menu
> item (* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).) never shows on the top menu
> when I do C-h i in Emacs.  In every attempt I have placed the
> file(s) in a directory mentioned in Info-default-directory-list.
> I have tried both the single info file emacs-lisp-intro.info.gz
> (from gnu.org) as well as the separate eintr*.gz files generated
> by makeinfo and gzip from the contents of emacs-lisp-intro-texi.tar
> (also from gnu.org).

You can use the prefix argument to be able to specify the info file to
use:

    C-u C-h i

You'd have to edit the DIR file used by info. There's an: install-info
command to do that.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__               _  Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email (o_ the computer industry all around

* Re: How to get an item into info menu?
@ 2005-01-02 19:02   ` bill
From: bill @ 2005-01-02 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <87oeg7ah3z.fsf@thalassa.informatimago.com> Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com> writes:

>There's an: install-info command to do that.

Thanks!

bill

* Re: How to get an item into info menu?
@ 2005-01-02 19:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.01.2005 um 16:27 schrieb bill:

> (* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).)

You have to put entries like this into the dir file in the info
directory. Well made packages do this themselves during installation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
[Isaac Asimov]