all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-08 21:01 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2006-02-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the build in
converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not contain
any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I have
these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).

Therefore I have been told to use "dvipdfm" instead.  Is there anyway to
make emacs use this by default instead of pdflatex?

Are there any differences between the two converters, besides that dvipdfm
works with pictures?

* Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-09  4:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-09  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the build in
> converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not contain
> any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I have
> these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).

pdflatex can definitely include images (in "epdf" form).

* Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-09  6:58   ` Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2006-02-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the build
>> in converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not
>> contain any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I
>> have these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).
>
> pdflatex can definitely include images (in "epdf" form).
>

>         Stefan

well not on my Ubuntu system. I include the picture like this:

\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=10cm]{dia}
\end{center}

where dia is dia.pdf and dia.eps in the same dir as my .tex file. When I
choose to genereate a PDF file from emacs:
Command -> Texing Options -> PDF mode

the image is gone in the PDF file that is generated.

If I instead use dvipdfm it works fine, so it could be very nice to make
emacs use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex.

* Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-09  7:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-02-09  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Paminu <sdef@asd.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:58:07 +0100
> >
> > pdflatex can definitely include images (in "epdf" form).
> >

> >         Stefan
>
> well not on my Ubuntu system. I include the picture like this:
>
> \begin{center}
> \includegraphics[width=10cm]{dia}
> \end{center}
>
> where dia is dia.pdf and dia.eps in the same dir as my .tex file. When I
> choose to genereate a PDF file from emacs:
> Command -> Texing Options -> PDF mode
>
> the image is gone in the PDF file that is generated.
>
> If I instead use dvipdfm it works fine, so it could be very nice to make
> emacs use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex.

Last time I looked, dvipdfm didn't produce clickable links from
cross-references, while pdflatex does.  So I think your suggestion is
not a very good idea; I'd rather suggest that you install a better
version of pdflatex that solves the problem in the first place.

* Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-09 10:46 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.02.2006 um 22:01 schrieb Paminu:

> When I woul like to generate a pdf file from my .tex file I use the
> build in
> converter "pdflatex". But the pdf file that is generated will not
> contain
> any of the pictures that I might have included in my .tex file (I have
> these pictures in .esp and .pdf format).

Your so-called "convertor" pdflatex is not built-in into GNU Emacs,
it's an external application, a part of TeX. pdfTeX, pdflatex's core,
supports only four graphics formats: PDF, PNG, GIF, and JPEG.

> Therefore I have been told to use "dvipdfm" instead.  Is there
> anyway to
> make emacs use this by default instead of pdflatex?

You can customise AUCTeX to use another programme instead of pdfTeX.
Could be AUCTeX can even work with simpdftex! As an evidence I take
this variable:

	 LaTeX-command-style '(("" "%(PDF)%(latex) %S%(PDFout)"))

> Are there any differences between the two converters, besides that
> dvipdfm
> works with pictures?

Yes. Dvipdfm is dead, Martin Wicks neither develops nor does he seem
to answer support questions. (Dvipdfmx is there, supporting Unicode.)
To use dvipdfm you first need to create a DVI file. dvipdfm's output
cannot be easily copied and pasted because the glyphs you see in a
PDF viewer are sometimes mapped to strange characters that get then
pasted into the target application. dvipdfm cannot expand or compress
glyphs of PS fonts used to fill lines in a better, more pleasing way
(a micro-typographic feature new since the times of Gutenberg).

You could check whether your image file really exists and is of the
right kind. Pressing C-x C-l in AUCTeX (the TeX buffer) opens a
buffer that shows TeX's diagnostic and other output. Since I don't
know which TeX is installed on your Ubuntu system, the
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions statement might be needed. Since you use
width=10cm you *have* to use the graphicx package, graphics does not
understand the keyval syntax.

The following example with the saddle's picture from TeXShop works
perfectly with pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) on
PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4.4 with AUCTeX 11.81 and in GNU Emacs 23:

	\documentclass[12pt]{article}
	\usepackage{cmap}
	\usepackage{graphicx}
	%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
	%\usepackage{textcomp}
	%\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
	%\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
	%%\usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}
	%%\usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=true]{microtype}
	%\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf,.png,.gif,.jpg}

	\begin{document}

	\begin{center}
	  \includegraphics[width=10cm]{saddle}
	\end{center}

	\end{document}

And, for the record: dvipdfm supports URLs and hyperlinks since last
millennium. Even in colour.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.

* Re: Use dvipdfm instead of pdflatex?
@ 2006-02-09 23:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-09 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> well not on my Ubuntu system. I include the picture like this:

> \begin{center}
> \includegraphics[width=10cm]{dia}
> \end{center}

> where dia is dia.pdf and dia.eps in the same dir as my .tex file. When I
> choose to genereate a PDF file from emacs:
> Command -> Texing Options -> PDF mode

> the image is gone in the PDF file that is generated.

Was there some kind of error message in pdflatex's output.
The above problem happens typically when you do things like

    \usepackage[dvips]{graphics}

rather than

    \usepackage{graphics}

but in case graphics uesses wrong, try

    \usepackage[pdftex]{graphics}

or some such.  See comp.text.tex for more reliable advice.