all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnuserv
@ 2006-10-22  5:10 Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2006-10-22  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a few days of playing with Gnuserv I'm ready to heave the beast.
Most of the culprit is "Unable to connect, connection refused" type
messages.  So far it has actually worked once and failed inumerable
times.  Running under gdb and stepping through the source code has me
wondering why I would inflict such pain upon myself.  Why not just
have some fooserv.el spawn a real Java server for which so much freely
available code exists, use http to enable a wealth of clients and keep
the server so simple that it just passes a form for Emacs to eval and
returns the result.  Makes sense to me.

Of course using Java means it most likely can not be a part of Gnu
Emacs, the only downside that I can see.  But making it a separate
project is not so bad.  Emacsclient/Emacsserver fill the need for the
non-Java world.

Anyone care to play devil's advocate?

-pmr