all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Looking for a sneaky key binding
@ 2007-03-05  1:09 Dan Bensen
From: Dan Bensen @ 2007-03-05  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

After making a new command, I wanted to bind it to M-C-|.
This form didn't work:
   (global-set-key <name> 'my-command)

where <name> was equal to
   "\M-\C-|"
   "\M-\C-\|"
   "|\M-\C-\||"

on separate attempts.  The error message was always
   "Invalid modifier in string".

So is there another trick somewhere that does this,
or is it not supported?

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb

* Re: Looking for a sneaky key binding
@ 2007-03-05  2:02 ` weber
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: weber @ 2007-03-05  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4 mar, 22:09, Dan Bensen <randomg...@cyberspace.net> wrote:
> After making a new command, I wanted to bind it to M-C-|.
> This form didn't work:
>    (global-set-key <name> 'my-command)
>
> where <name> was equal to
>    "\M-\C-|"
>    "\M-\C-\|"
>    "|\M-\C-\||"
>
> on separate attempts.  The error message was always
>    "Invalid modifier in string".
>
> So is there another trick somewhere that does this,
> or is it not supported?
>
> --
> Danwww.prairienet.org/~dsb

Yes, i had some problems too.. But with this syntax worked:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-C-\|") '(lambda() (interactive) (message
"Teste")))

It's hard combo to type though: you have to hold Ctrl, Alt and
Shift! :)
Cheers,
weber

* Re: Looking for a sneaky key binding
@ 2007-03-05  2:37 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.438.1173062316.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-03-05  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 19:09:47 -0600 Dan Bensen wrote:

> After making a new command, I wanted to bind it to M-C-|.

Hit C-h k C-M-| and emacs will show you the key how it understands
it:

  C-M-| is undefined

then just use (kbd "C-M-|").

Wow, a keystroke that involves Meta Control and Shift, one key is
missing :)

David

@ 2007-03-05  3:23   ` Dan Bensen
From: Dan Bensen @ 2007-03-05  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen wrote:
> Hit C-h k C-M-|
Very nice.

> then just use (kbd "C-M-|").
Finally!  Is kbd documented somewhere?  I don't see it in the elisp or
emacs manuals or google.

> Wow, a keystroke that involves Meta Control and Shift, one key is
> missing :)
It's for my indent-buffer command.  It sort of parallels indent-region.

--

@ 2007-03-05  3:49     ` Dan Bensen
From: Dan Bensen @ 2007-03-05  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Bensen wrote:
> Is kbd documented somewhere?  I don't see it in the elisp or
> emacs manuals or google.

I found the description with C-h f, which led to insert-kbd-macro,
but neither entry describes the syntax of the string for the key
sequence.
Also, I'm interested in how someone is supposed to find it by themself
without having to be told about it, considering it seems pretty useful
for defining bindings.

--
Dan
www.prairienet.org/~dsb

* Re: Looking for a sneaky key binding
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.438.1173062316.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-06  4:44 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-03-06  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Bensen wrote:
> After making a new command, I wanted to bind it to M-C-|.
> This form didn't work:
>   (global-set-key <name> 'my-command)
>
> where <name> was equal to
>   "\M-\C-|"
>   "\M-\C-\|"
>   "|\M-\C-\||"
>
> on separate attempts.  The error message was always
>   "Invalid modifier in string".

See these sections of the Emacs Lisp manual:

Nonprinting Characters in Strings
Non-ASCII Characters in Strings
Changing Key Bindings

> So is there another trick somewhere that does this,
> or is it not supported?

Use the vector notation (Emacs manual: Rebinding Keys in Your Init File):

[?\M-\C-|]

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Looking for a sneaky key binding
@ 2007-03-06 13:07     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-03-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Bensen <randomgeek@cyberspace.net> writes:

> Finally!  Is kbd documented somewhere?  I don't see it in the elisp or
> emacs manuals or google.

Documentation for this function has been added in Emacs 22 (Elisp
manual).

--
Johan Bockgård