all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-27  6:31 artun
From: artun @ 2007-06-27  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I want to learn if there exists a tutorial or something different to
help using svn through emacs. If  not exists could anyone please list
the steps?

Thanks...

* Re: using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-27  7:10 ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-06-27  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 27, 8:31 am, artun <muratar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to learn if there exists a tutorial or something different to
> help using svn through emacs. If  not exists could anyone please list
> the steps?

I haven't used svn from emacs until now, so I don't know the answer.

Have you checked http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/VersionControl
and http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SubVersion? Aren't they
enough?

\bye

* Re: using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-27  9:23 ` Petter Gustad
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2686.1182953224.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Petter Gustad @ 2007-06-27  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

artun <muratartun@gmail.com> writes:

> help using svn through emacs. If  not exists could anyone please list
> the steps?

If you know the basics of SVN you could just do M-x svn-status and
select the top of your SVN tree. Then check the entries in the SVN
menu.

You can also use the old VC commands on top of SVN. But using the SVN
commands will let you do atomic commits (i.e. commit a set of files
you have marked in one operation).

Petter

Petter Gustad         8'h2B | ~8'h2B        http://www.gustad.com/petter

* Re: using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-27 13:48   ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2686.1182953224.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-06-27 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Petter> If you know the basics of SVN you could just do M-x
    Petter> svn-status and select the top of your SVN tree.

Note that in order to run M-x svn-status, you must download and
install the file psvn.el; it doesn't come with Emacs.  You can get it
from
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/emacs/psvn.el

    Petter> You can also use the old VC commands on top of SVN.

Yes, and they're documented in the Emacs manual:
(info "(emacs)Version Control")

--
Most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they
care about it?

* Re: using svn through emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2686.1182953224.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-28  6:22     ` artun
From: artun @ 2007-06-28  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric,

Thanks for your valuable help...

> Note that in order to run M-x svn-status, you must download and
> install the file psvn.el; it doesn't come with Emacs.  You can get it
> fromhttp://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/emacs/psvn.el

By the way installing psvn.el is quite easy. Just putting the file
under <emacs_dir>/lisp and adding line "(require 'psvn)" to .emacs
file makes the file installed.

I want to learn what is the difference between psvn.el and dsvn.el,
because on top of both of the files it was stated they are subversion
interface for emacs. In addition there exists "vc-svn.el --- a VC
backend for Subversion". Will I need other two files than psvn.el?

Thanks...

* Re: using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-28  6:46       ` cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2007-06-28  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Personally I use PSVN and find it quite nice. But if you have Emacs 22
I think you should stick to vc-svn as it is in default nstallation.
Haven't tried vc-svn actually.

Andrey

* Re: using svn through emacs
@ 2007-06-28 18:11       ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-06-28 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    artun> By the way installing psvn.el is quite easy.

It sure is!

    artun> I want to learn what is the difference between psvn.el and
    artun> dsvn.el, because on top of both of the files it was stated
    artun> they are subversion interface for emacs.

I myself have no idea what dsvn.el does, because I am so lazy that I
haven't even looked at it.

    artun> In addition there exists "vc-svn.el --- a VC backend for
    artun> Subversion".  Will I need other two files than psvn.el?

I know for certain that psvn.el works fine without vc-svn.el, and
vice-versa.  Both are useful; there's some overlap in what they do but
I use both.  I don't know about dsvn, though.  Oh, and vc-svn.el ships
with Emacs, although I'd guess that version lags the one in the
Subversion repo.

--
I do not wish to achieve immortality through my work.  I wish
to achieve it through not dying.