all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
       [not found] <20070711194152.A12059E8788@ufc.univ-fcomte.fr>
@ 2007-07-13 15:09 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.3447.1184339389.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2007-07-13 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I have heard a rumour of some software for Mac where you can click
on your dvi file and cursor moves to the corresponding location in the
tex file. Does anyone know how to get this sort of interaction between
dvi and emacs run on Linux?

cheers
David

* Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
       [not found] ` <mailman.3447.1184339389.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-13 19:27   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-07-13 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David wrote:
> Hi, I have heard a rumour of some software for Mac where you can click
> on your dvi file and cursor moves to the corresponding location in the
> tex file. Does anyone know how to get this sort of interaction between
> dvi and emacs run on Linux?

yeah, it's called forward and inverse search (it goes both ways, from emacs
to dvi viewer and back). i don't know if it's part of the standard latex
mode in emacs, but it is certainly integrated in auctex (which you should
be using anyway, if you use emacs to edit latex files).

<http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/>

<http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/auctex_53.html>

and otherwise do a google search for "forward inverse search latex" or
something and you should get tons of info.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
@ 2007-07-13 19:47   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-13 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi David

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:09:48PM +0200, David wrote:
> Hi, I have heard a rumour of some software for Mac where you can click
> on your dvi file and cursor moves to the corresponding location in the
> tex file. Does anyone know how to get this sort of interaction between
> dvi and emacs run on Linux?

That's easy. This feature is called forward and inverse search. It's
explained in the AucTeX manual. If you use auctex just hit C-c C-t C-s
(I don't know if this also works within the build-in tex mode). This
enables the TeX-source-specials. With the source-specials on, Emacs
will start xdvi with further options. xdvi will start displaying the
page where the point is set in Emacs (forward search). When you click
any line in xdvi simultaneously pressing Ctrl you return to Emacs with
the point on the corresponding paragraph. This works also with other
dvi viewers, but you have to configure them to use emacs server for
inverse search.

Bye,

Sven

> cheers
> David

PS: Bitte schicken Sie mir reine Text-Nachrichten. Bitte schicken Sie
mir keine Word-, PowerPoint- oder Excel-Anhänge. Sehen Sie dazu bitte
auch http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.de.html.

@ 2007-07-13 19:56   ` Ph. Ivaldi
From: Ph. Ivaldi @ 2007-07-13 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://cristal.inria.fr/whizzytex/  ?
--
   Philippe Ivaldi.
http://piprim.tuxfamily.org/

* Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
@ 2007-07-16 13:34     ` d_pleydell
From: d_pleydell @ 2007-07-16 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for all the feed back. To summarise a little for others

xdvi handles forward and inverse searching
curtosy of autex. This is enabled with C-c C-t C-s. To do the forward
search you have to compile and display the latex file every time you
want that feature i.e. either C-c C-c two or three times plus enter
twice to get the new display (quite labourious if repeated often), or
with the gui buttons for latex and dvi which for once is easier. The
inverse search is simpler, ctrl-mouse in the dvi and emacs will jump
to the relevant buffer at the relevant point.

A faster alternative for forward seasrch is whizzytex used with
advi. The forward search is automatic, although can take a second or
two to calculate. For inverse search use shft-mouse. A whizzy menu is
added to emacs when you do M-x whizzytex-mode and you have options on
slicing, that is you can restrict automatic updating to a single
section (default) or chapter if you like. This probably saves
computation time and also always puts the start of the section at the
top of the page in advi when xdvi might be displaying the paragraph
you are working on on two different pages, so a nice feature. Where
xdvi is still nicer though is to have the clickable page numbers and
scrolling with the arrow and page buttons. In advi you can only go
through the pages successively with n (next) or p (previous) which is
a little idiosyncratic. Appart from this gripe advi seems the smarter
way to go due to it's auto forward search which also includes a yellow
character cursor in the dvi display - the xdvi equivelent to which is
a less precise bounding box on the current paragraph. If you really
want page jumping you can use both xdvi and advi at the same time but
confussion between ctrl-mouse (xdvi) with shft-mouse (advi) seems
likely.

kdvi also has possibilities with quite a functional viewer and what
appears to be quite detailed help files, but I hit configuration
issues which I didn't spend any time fighting. Also whizzytex is said
to work with xdvi too, but I couldn't get that working quickly.

hope all that is useful for someone.

* Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
@ 2007-07-16 21:29       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

d_pleydell@yahoo.com writes:

> Thanks for all the feed back. To summarise a little for others
>
> xdvi handles forward and inverse searching curtosy of autex. This is
> enabled with C-c C-t C-s. To do the forward search you have to
> compile and display the latex file every time you want that feature
> i.e. either C-c C-c two or three times plus enter twice to get the
> new display (quite labourious if repeated often), or with the gui
> buttons for latex and dvi which for once is easier. The inverse
> search is simpler, ctrl-mouse in the dvi and emacs will jump to the
> relevant buffer at the relevant point.

One thing worth mentioning is that for several use cases (most
important probably mathematics) for which inverse/reverse search is
convenient, preview-latex (which is included in AUCTeX) provides a
much nicer workflow and makes better use of the screen estate.