all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Noon question : Copying w/o Killing
@ 2007-09-08 14:24 winuser
       [not found] ` <ufy1or0st.fsf@gnu.org>
From: winuser @ 2007-09-08 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

As this is my first post on this forum, I am reposting here in the hope that
it is the right one.

PLease lead me to the relevant docs if possible.
I am using Emacs 22 on WinXP SP2 and I'm trying to copy text from a Emacs
buffer while leaving the original in place. ( AKA C-c and C-v )
Is there a Emacs keybinding for this ?

If I can learn Emacs, maybe I can go on to bigger targets like Linux :)

* Re: Noon question : Copying w/o Killing
       [not found] ` <ufy1or0st.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-09 14:12   ` winuser
From: winuser @ 2007-09-09 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for a speedy answer.
This Noob ( !Noon ) will keep digging . Right now I'm still at C-h t.

@ 2007-09-09 16:06 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-09-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: winuser; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

winuser <winuser@intermonde.net> writes:

> PLease lead me to the relevant docs if possible.
> I am using Emacs 22 on WinXP SP2 and I'm trying to copy text from a Emacs
> buffer while leaving the original in place. ( AKA C-c and C-v )
> Is there a Emacs keybinding for this ?

With the mouse just mark it, drag it with the left mouse button held.
You are able to insert the text somewhere in the Emacs buffer with the
middle mouse button.

With the keyboard it's M-w (pressing the Alt key and the w key) for
copying and C-y for inserting.  But before the copying you first you
have to mark a region however, please have a look at the following:

(info-other-window "mark(emacs)") ! <- please set the cursor before
the exclamation mark and type C-x C-e.

> If I can learn Emacs, maybe I can go on to bigger targets like Linux :)

That was the way I strode along, when you're using Emacs extensively
you'll notice the usage of some fine external tools (or the emulation
of them) which are conveniently available on Gnu/Linux systems.

But I think nowadays installing Ubuntu and using it, for example, is
much less effort than learning the many faces of Emacs.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany