all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile.el compilation-start overrides frame preference
@ 2007-11-23  1:17 John J Foerch
From: John J Foerch @ 2007-11-23  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

In compile.el, the function `compilation-start' contains:

  (setq outwin (display-buffer outbuf nil t))

The third parameter of display-buffer (given as `t' in this call)
overrides the user setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames.  My
personal preference would be for compilation-start to not override my
setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames, but perhaps there should be a
new user variable in compile.el to control this behavior.

To give you an idea of why I encountered this: I use emacs' grep.el a
lot, which uses compile.el for its buffer output.  I wanted to make
the `*grep*' buffer always appear in the selected frame, instead of
raising another frame is already displaying the *grep* buffer.

What do you think?

John Foerch

* Re: compile.el compilation-start overrides frame preference
@ 2007-11-24 22:53 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-11-24 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John J Foerch; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In compile.el, the function `compilation-start' contains:
>
>   (setq outwin (display-buffer outbuf nil t))
>
> The third parameter of display-buffer (given as `t' in this call)
> overrides the user setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames.  My
> personal preference would be for compilation-start to not override my
> setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames, ...

I think so too.  Does anyone see a problem with

(setq outwin (display-buffer outbuf))

here?

* Re: compile.el compilation-start overrides frame preference
@ 2007-11-25 15:29   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-11-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: John J Foerch, emacs-devel

>> In compile.el, the function `compilation-start' contains:
>>
>>   (setq outwin (display-buffer outbuf nil t))
>>
>> The third parameter of display-buffer (given as `t' in this call)
>> overrides the user setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames.  My
>> personal preference would be for compilation-start to not override my
>> setting of display-buffer-reuse-frames, ...
>
> I think so too.  Does anyone see a problem with
>
> (setq outwin (display-buffer outbuf))
>
> here?

This change will also fix an old bug that when on a text-only terminal
grep was run on one virtual frame, then running it on another virtual
frame in the same Emacs frame doesn't display the grep buffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/