all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* package updater?
@ 2009-09-21 16:51 Chelmite
From: Chelmite @ 2009-09-21 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have installed many emacs packages over the years.
It's difficult to keep up with updates for all of them.
Is there a mechanism, similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will
update packages automatically?

Thanks,
Steve

* Re: package updater?
@ 2009-09-21 17:00 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-09-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> I have installed many emacs packages over the years.
> It's difficult to keep up with updates for all of them.
> Is there a mechanism, similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will
> update packages automatically?

There's ELPA:

  http://tromey.com/elpa/index.html

And then there's

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoInstall

Choose the one you like best. I think auto-install is the more recent
effort.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: package updater?
@ 2009-09-22 11:50 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-09-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chelmite <steve.kelem@gmail.com> writes:

> I have installed many emacs packages over the years.
> It's difficult to keep up with updates for all of them.
> Is there a mechanism, similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will
> update packages automatically?

gentoo installs emacs packages like any other package.  When you
update your package with gentoo, it updates emacs packages too.

Last week end, I typed:

     emerge --sync && emerge --update portage && emerge --update world

which is the standard incantation to make a full update of your gentoo
system, and it installed emacs-23 and updated all the emacs packages.

Are you sure debian or any other linux distribution doesn't do the same?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: package updater?
@ 2009-09-23 10:00   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-09-23 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

Hi Pascal,

>> I have installed many emacs packages over the years.  It's difficult
>> to keep up with updates for all of them.  Is there a mechanism,
>> similar to yast, smart, apt, etc, that will update packages
>> automatically?
>
> gentoo installs emacs packages like any other package.  When you
> update your package with gentoo, it updates emacs packages too.

The problem is that not all packages are available as ebuild or deb, and
even if it is available, it needs not to be up-to-date.

But at least the gentoo-emacs herd does an excellent job.  For all
popular packages which are not too easy to install (auctex, cedet,
slime, ...), there's an recent ebuild.

Bye,
Tassilo