all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: window-specific Caps Lock
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:21:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Girish Kulkarni <geeree@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I spend much time programming in Fortran 90 on my system, which is
> Debian 5.0 with GNOME.  I type the code in GNU Emacs and I prefer
> typing Fortran 90 ALL CAPS.
>
> This usually means that I need to toggle the `Caps Lock' switch on my
> keyboard every time I switch from the Emacs window to the terminal
> (which for me is Xterm).
>
> Is there a way I can set things up so that while I'm typing Fortran
> 90, text will automatically be entered ALL CAPS in the Emacs buffer,
> but not in any other windows?  Maybe by telling Emacs?
>
> Thanks,
> Girish.

How about inverting the meaning of shift ? In case you need other
non-ascii characters you'll have to extend this.

(defvar inverse-case-mode-map
  (let ((km (make-sparse-keymap))
        (ch ?A))
    (while (<= ch ?z)
      (define-key km (vector ch) 'self-insert-inverse-case-command)
      (setq ch (1+ ch))
      (if (eq ch ?Z)
          (setq ch ?a)))
    km))

(defun self-insert-inverse-case-command (arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (let ((last-command-event
         (+ last-command-event
            (if (equal (downcase (string last-command-event))
                       (string last-command-event))
                (- ?A ?a)
    (call-interactively 'self-insert-command)))

(define-minor-mode inverse-case-mode
  nil nil " InvCase")

;;;

(add-hook 'fortran-mode #'(lambda nil (inverse-case-mode 1)))
...or whatever.

-ap