all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to modify the emacs startup screen?
@ 2009-11-09  8:37 徐盛
From: 徐盛 @ 2009-11-09  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!
Every time I start emacs, I see the startup screen,
althouth I know that I can turn it off, but I'd like
to modify it to meet my needs.

I know that modify the startup.el before building the
emacs can help. but I don't know how to insert a Google
search in the startup screen.

Thanks in advance!

* Re: How to modify the emacs startup screen?
@ 2009-11-09 10:12 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-09 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

xushengzheda@zju.edu.cn (徐盛) writes:

> Hi!
> Every time I start emacs, I see the startup screen,
> althouth I know that I can turn it off, but I'd like
> to modify it to meet my needs.

You can set fancy-splash-text in ~/.emacs ; for example:

(setq fancy-splash-text
      '(
        (:face (variable-pitch :weight bold) "
WELCOME TO EMACS!
")
        (:face (variable-pitch :weight bold) "
-%- WELCOME TO EMACS -%-
")))

> I know that modify the startup.el before building the
> emacs can help. but I don't know how to insert a Google
> search in the startup screen.

But if you want to start a browser, then add at the end of your
~/.emacs :

   (require 'w3m)
   (w3m-browse-url "http://www.google.com/")

--