all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Working with slime
@ 2009-12-17 17:44 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-17 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to work with slime. I use:
    (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
    (require 'slime)
    (slime-setup)

Bu this gives:
    let: SIGPIPE raised on process inferior-lisp; closed it

What is going wrong?

I am using:
    GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Working with slime
@ 2009-12-17 18:14 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-12-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:44:46 +0100, Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> wrote:
> I want to work with slime. I use:
>     (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
>     (require 'slime)
>     (slime-setup)
>
> Bu this gives:
>     let: SIGPIPE raised on process inferior-lisp; closed it
>
> What is going wrong?

Can you run "/opt/bin/clisp" outside of Emacs and Slime?

It looks like CLISP is aborting, but if it works as a standalone REPL it
(normally) shouldn't have any problems as a child process of Emacs either.

* Re: Working with slime
@ 2009-12-17 18:52   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

>> I want to work with slime. I use:
>>     (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
>>     (require 'slime)
>>     (slime-setup)
>>
>> Bu this gives:
>>     let: SIGPIPE raised on process inferior-lisp; closed it
>>
>> What is going wrong?
>
> Can you run "/opt/bin/clisp" outside of Emacs and Slime?
>
> It looks like CLISP is aborting, but if it works as a standalone REPL it
> (normally) shouldn't have any problems as a child process of Emacs either.

That is the risk of just using copy/past. It should be:
    (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system

Next time I should look a little further.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Working with slime
@ 2009-12-17 22:15 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-12-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I want to work with slime. I use:
>     (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
>     (require 'slime)
>     (slime-setup)
>
> Bu this gives:
>     let: SIGPIPE raised on process inferior-lisp; closed it
>
> What is going wrong?
>
> I am using:
>     GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

What version of clisp?
What version of slime?
Can you run clisp from the command line in a terminal?
What Linux distribution are you using?

At a guess, I'd say slime is having problems starting clisp. From
memory, clisp also has command line arguements that make it interface
better with emacs.  Maybe you need that.

In the clisp distributions, there is a file called editors.txt or
something similar. It contains instructions on how to setup a very basic
clisp environment with clisp running in a inferior lisp mode. It might
be worth trying to get that to work first as its simpler than slime, but
uses a similar approach. Therefore, it might be easier to debug the
asics and then add slime in later.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Working with slime
@ 2009-12-18  0:10   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-18  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>> I want to work with slime. I use:
>>     (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
>>     (require 'slime)
>>     (slime-setup)
>>
>> Bu this gives:
>>     let: SIGPIPE raised on process inferior-lisp; closed it
>>
>> What is going wrong?
>>
>> I am using:
>>     GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>
> What version of clisp?

Version 2.39. The problem was that I did a copy/past. Instead of
/opt/bin/clisp I need to use /usr/bin/clisp. Problem solved.

Thanks and sorry for the noise.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer