I have also observed this in other split window configurations, e.g. the Summary and Article buffers in Gnus. The missing scroll bar appears as soon as the lower window is made current. I have also seen the scroll appear spontaneously after a few seconds, but I haven't found a way to reproduce that. The bug occurs only if the above sexps are in user-init-file; it does not occur after evalling them after starting with -Q, or loading them from the command line. This bug is present in all pretest builds I have, but the earliest of these is only from 2010-01-13. It is not present in the last pre-pretest build I have, from 2009-11-27. I don't know how to debug this, but if someone can guide me, I'll try. In GNU Emacs 23.1.91.4 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.1) of 2010-01-28 on escher Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000 Important settings: value of $LC_ALL: nil value of $LC_COLLATE: nil value of $LC_CTYPE: nil value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil value of $LC_MONETARY: nil value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil value of $LC_TIME: nil value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8 value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix default enable-multibyte-characters: t